Natural Gas Block

Users who are viewing this thread

Joey

Reaction score
So heres my situation, i was a little behind on my energy bill which was made very clear to me when they blocked it off. I received a phone call saying my gas would be disconnected if i didnt call back by a certain day, the only problem is i was out of province( i am from canada) visiting my dying grandfather one last time, only to come home to find that my gas is disconnected, i want to know if anyone on here has ever removed the gold plate thing they set up to lock the valve? I am out of options and need to shower badly! lol

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Around here, you could end up in the hoosegow for taking off a utility company lockout. If you pony up, they will remove the lock, and if you don't pony up, then you are stealing the gas.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
So heres my situation, i was a little behind on my energy bill which was made very clear to me when they blocked it off. I received a phone call saying my gas would be disconnected if i didnt call back by a certain day, the only problem is i was out of province( i am from canada) visiting my dying grandfather one last time, only to come home to find that my gas is disconnected, i want to know if anyone on here has ever removed the gold plate thing they set up to lock the valve? I am out of options and need to shower badly! lol

Pay the bill. This post goes along the lines of "Hey, I got this Decoder from my friend to watch HBO, how do I hook it up."

To tell you how to do it, you take a large Sledge and smack the pipe about 10 or 20 times below the lockout and your troubles should be gone.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The local gas company once billed me for a new meter at a small commercial building where I had been a tenant, and I ended up having to get a letter from the landlord to prove I had moved out of there well before the next guy cut the lock a couple of times and ultimately broke an ear off the meter. All of that easily could have led from theft and vandalism to jail.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
In civilized countries, they do not cut you off for failing to pay your utilities because you might be poor, old or both and it just might be cold outside. Civilized countries cut you off if you have a gas leak.

Only in Canada.

I suppose it could be worse. In the US they wouldn't even call you.

Only in America.

Last edited:

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do not know where you are in the U.S., but Ameren will come and cut the NG, and not tell you are doing so. Only until you go to cook something on the stove, do you find out that you have no NG. Then you get the luck of finding out that the wife did not pay the bill.

We are lucky that our NG bill is around $18 during the summer, and in Heating months it goes up to anywhere from $78 to 112 depending on how much Ameren wants to get their money from you. The larger amount is usually during Feb. when they go "Oops, we under charged the past 3 months."

D.Smith

Reaction score
They could take your payment and post it to the wrong person then cut you off. When you call to get it corrected they tell you 4 business days before anyone can get out there.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most places do not cut you off when you miss one month...or two...or three. But at what point do YOU want to be paying increased bills because someone else does not?? Get your church, or other local charity to take up a collection. But do not stiff all the ratepayers.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jimbo makes a good point. Your gas was not turned off because you missed a payment. You were seriously behind, and I am sure you received several notices warning you of possible termination of service. You're not going to get much sympathy here my friend. Sorry about Grandpa, but it was you that burned you chances by ignoring a very overdue utility bill for so long that the gas company had no choice but to cut you off.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Here in MN there is the "cold weather rule" where they can only disconnect electric or gas during the summer.

I would suggest buying a angle grinder and "cut-off" blades.

Just cut the pipe ;)

Then cut more pipes and reconfigure them into a solar stove/heater.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I think we need bigger Government and higher taxes to deal with this problem.

It's not fair that poor people have to turn to God to survive.

They should turn to taxpayers. And if we don't cough, they should rob us.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, we have had a good time on this thread, even though the orignal guy is long gone! Hit and run!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks