Screened In Porch Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

arthurrc

Reaction score
1. What would be the longest distance you would span for a 6' tall screened in porch? Right now I've got a 100' span between my posts, but think I'll probably put at least one more in. I'm not sure if I need more than that though.
2. Are there any materials I should stay away from when going to purchace my screen? I live in a wooded area and want the screen to be durable enough to withstand sticks falling from trees and such.
3. I plan to put up a 2' wall at the base of my porch walls with the screen starting above that. Do I need treated wood to frame it or could I get away with non-treated?
Thanks for any answers to any of these questions.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
1. What would be the longest distance you would span for a 6' tall screened in porch? Right now I've got a 100' span between my posts, but think I'll probably put at least one more in. I'm not sure if I need more than that though.
2. Are there any materials I should stay away from when going to purchace my screen? I live in a wooded area and want the screen to be durable enough to withstand sticks falling from trees and such.
3. I plan to put up a 2' wall at the base of my porch walls with the screen starting above that. Do I need treated wood to frame it or could I get away with non-treated?
Thanks for any answers to any of these questions.

1. There isn't enough information to give you an answer. I assume that you are talking about a girder along the outer edge. Generally a double 2x10 can span 6'. In any event you should get a building permit and check through the residential code- you should find your answer there.
2. Personally I'd go with fiberglass sceen as it tends to stretch instead of creasing like aluminum, and its cheaper to replace.
3. All uncovered exterior wood or deck framing must be treated lumber. The closer you are to the soil contact the more important this becomes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
screen

I assume you intend to put the screen on the vertical wall between your stub wall and an existing roof line. If so, then the horizontal distance is irrelevent because it will be secured top and bottom across a 4' opening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks