Problem tub drain removal

Users who are viewing this thread

mrjetskey

Reaction score
I am rebuilding our guest bath.Wife wants tub changed out before I build new shower.Heres the problem ,when I went to unscrew drain from drain pipe,all four of the little cross bars sheared off,it has been in 19yrs.I had no trouble changing my wifes drain(brass) in the upstairs tub.Does anyone have any idea how I can get it out without destroying tub?perhaps heat it is a steel tub,I had a 4 way tool I made to unscrew the drains it has nothing to bite on.Any suggestions Please???THanks in advance guys!!>Marvin

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
tubdrain-redwood.jpg

You can cut in a notch and use a chisel to tap it out counter clockwise.

Last edited:

mrjetskey

Reaction score
Dang that was quick!Thank you so very much between this forum and the tile your world forums ,I have been able to completely redo our 1989 home a room at a time ,saving over 85 to 100,000.00 dollars in labor.My thanks once again for your help>Marvin

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'd make 2 cuts on opposite sides just to be able to have a second better angle possibility to avoid damage to the tub.

Be carefull with steel tubs... They tend to rust pretty bad in that area and it may be time for a new tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks