Installing new Delta valves and want to save tiled walls

Users who are viewing this thread

RonIdaho

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I'm a retired mining engineer. Last fall, we started a remodel of our baths and kitchen. In addition to some expensive tile and granite, we went with Delta victorian bronze finish faucets and are carrying that theme throughout. I finished installing 1 kitchen and 4 bath sink faucets and am now at the stage of replacing our 19 year old Moen Chateau shower and tub hardware with Delta 17455 trim and R10000-UNBX valve bodies. I've attached pix of the "hole" with the old Moen valve in place, a Delta valve body, and an April fool's version of a Moen hybrid Delta trim. If only it were that easy. The caulk ring on the tile is about 6" in dia. which I could enlarge the hole to for access if necessary. I want to save the tile work and accomplish the change out in the wall. I'll be installing 3 valve bodies. The one in the pix (tub and shower) plus a tub only and a shower only installation. I presume I just neet to cap off the unsused outlets on the other installations. I like the way Delta has made the male IP/female copper connections on the ends.

I have several questions. First, I'm willing to hire a plumber to do the plumbing work, but would rather do the fiddling and preparation myself because it looks like it is going to take hours to accomplish. I've been figuring out a way to install a wooden stringer back plate. Can't do it with one piece, but could with two overlapping pieces, some hole enlarging and fastening them to each other. I see a sketch of a thin wall kit RP47202. I have a regular 2x4 wall, but would this kit allow me to skip installing the stringer back plate? That would ease my burden quite a bit. Nother question--Could the copper pipes be cut so that they just fit inside the Delta valve body? The Moen valve body is small enough that I could cut the copper pipe just outside of it and still have enough to fit inside the Delta body without having to use short pieces of pipe and couplings. But, is there enough spring to spread the pipe the half inch I'd need to pop the new valve body in? If so, that would take care of most the rest of the difficult work. I have an exposed stud wall in the basement I can use for practice of any suggestions before committing them to the actual bathroom walls.

I hope I haven't taken on a fool's errand. It looks like if I proceed methodically, I can get the valve bodies replaced properly and within the tight confines of working inside the wall. As I say, I'll practice first on my basement wall to make sure it works before tearing into the bathroom.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Ron Ferrel
Pocatello, Idaho

delta_multichoice.jpg

Attachments

• R1000-UN flipped.jpg
    R1000-UN flipped.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 5,015
  • Hole 2 cropped resize.jpg
    Hole 2 cropped resize.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 4,866
  • Moen Delta hybrid x.jpg
    Moen Delta hybrid x.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 4,954
Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Most tub/shower valves are replaced through the wall on the back side. In many home there is a smartly placed closet where a back or side wall is cut open for access. What have you got for access in the back?

RonIdaho

Reaction score
Back wall

The wall behind the faucet in the photo is a wall in our master bedroom. The wall behind the tub in the master bath is part of the adjacent tiled shower and the wall behind that shower with the shower faucet on it is the toilet wall. No closets unfortunately.

RonIdaho

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Delta makes a "renovation plate" which will cover the hole that you will need to make your solder joints

"Delta RP29827 Showers Tub/Shower Renovation Cover Plate"
Covers up to 8" center holes
Part# RP29827

Attachments

• 65100964.jpg
    65100964.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 4,766

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You may want to hire a plumber for this job if you only have front access. Installing a tub/shower valve is something I would say only a highly experienced DIYer should consider. Add in the limited access from the front and I would say even the experienced DIYer would be excluded. It's not an easy job!

helplesshardware

Reaction score
Eeek!

The new fixtures are beautiful! If you can hack the old one out (carefully) and finagle that new one in there-maybe....

Last edited:

RonIdaho

Reaction score
Delta makes a "renovation plate" which will cover the hole that you will need to make your solder joints

"Delta RP29827 Showers Tub/Shower Renovation Cover Plate"
Covers up to 8" center holes
Part# RP29827
Thanks for the tip. I checked around and could only find it in chrome or polished brass.

RonIdaho

Reaction score
You may want to hire a plumber for this job if you only have front access. Installing a tub/shower valve is something I would say only a highly experienced DIYer should consider. Add in the limited access from the front and I would say even the experienced DIYer would be excluded. It's not an easy job!
I'm in the process of contacting experienced plumbers now to have them look at the job and possibly bid it. Thanks for your input.

RonIdaho

Reaction score
Addenda

If I turn up anything useful as this job goes along I'll post it along with possible progress photos if I don't get in the plumber's way as possible help for the next guy.

RonIdaho

Reaction score
As promised, I'm back to relate the details of how this project came out. As recommended, I contacted a plumber. The first one never got back to me. The second didn't sound too enthusiastic over the phone, but told me he'd call the next morning (June 11, 2008) at 8:30 am. Well, he did, right on the dot and showed up with his truck and a helper at 8:41 am. He gave me a bid and was ready to go right then. They started on the shower only valve which already had a proper size hole cut in the tile while I chucked a small diamond cutter in my motor tool and started on the tub only valve. I got the hole finished just as they were ready for it, but burned up my tool in the process. So, I got my drill and started on the tub/shower valve that was shown in the earlier photos. I'll attach photos of the plumbers and the tub only fixture in this reply and will finish my report with the next one. Look at the valve photo. There's a stud on the right edge which forced the valve to be installed 3/4" to the left of center. It isn't that noticeable after everything was installed, fortunately, and I'm glad I didn't cut the hole any larger than I did or the escutcheon would not have covered it (It is 3/4" left of center too!). No more tiles to do a repair.

Attachments

• tub valve showing stud 70%.jpg
    tub valve showing stud 70%.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 4,837
  • Plumber at work 80%.jpg
    Plumber at work 80%.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 4,686
  • Two plumbers 70%.jpg
    Two plumbers 70%.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 4,604

RonIdaho

Reaction score
To sum up

Everything got done in 3 hours at a cost of $155 per valve. I have no idea if that is reasonable or not, but given the tight working conditions and the men not making any profit on the fixtures, plus the fact that it all turned out well leaves me to conclude that I got a pretty good deal. We didn't open the holes to the maximum the escutcheons would cover and, in the case of the tub only valve, thereby avoided a disaster. A couple of half inch diameter pops in the sheetrock behind the shower only valve were the only wall repairs I had to do and those were easily repaired with spackle and a paint touch-up. So, such a project can be done and I'm glad mine is finished! Now on to the last of the plumbing stuff--two rubbed bronze flush levers, 3 toilet supply lines, and replace the shower stall door assembly. The plumber recommended that I buy 3 replacement 1700 valve cartridges now, as he said when they need replacing, none of us will remember the details so I have them on order. When you decide on a plumbing decor and color, it is darned difficult to get all the hardware to match. I hope this thread is of benefit to other forum participants.
RonIdaho

Attachments

• shower 70%.jpg
    shower 70%.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 4,768
  • tub 70%.jpg
    tub 70%.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 4,452
  • tub shower 70%.jpg
    tub shower 70%.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 4,522

RonIdaho

Reaction score
I'd say don't lose track of that plumber.

Mikey, I won't. One thing about local folks in a town of 60k. I've known him for 17 years. I sold him my old Bronco in '91. When I look at that pic of him working in that little hole in my wall, I just marvel that the job went like clockwork in spite of running into that stud in the wrong spot. Of course, I was too busy cutting tile at the time to pay attention.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, you got a good guy to do a job that many of us do not like to tackle! Enjoy your new shower!

Now, since we never pass up a chance to nit pick each other, I will comment:

I never stand in a customer's tub without putting a big old terry towel (MINE not theirs) down . And I never set hammers and such down on the edge of tub unless I drap a towel over that as well. Same for all the stuff piled up on the toilet seat.

I know, easy for me to say...he got the job done. Just had to toss it in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks