Remodeling a bathroom that was poorly done; venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

delta_v

Reaction score
Hi all,
Helping out a friend of mine with his basement bathroom. The house is almost 100 years old and at some point, probably in the 80's, the previous owner had the whole house jacked up about three feet to elevate the basement and poured a new slab. They also put in a bathroom in the basement that was very poorly done. We knew ahead of time that nothing was vented. Now that we've busted up the slab, it looks like we're dealing with some very interesting pig slop. I'm no plumber, but I know that s**t doesn't like to make 180 degree turns. Might explain why the toilet wasn't flushing so well.

Everything is going to be ripped out and done properly, including moving the toilet to a better location so it has a nice straight shot at the waste pipe. I'm concerned about the venting, though. My friend doesn't have a problem going through the wall to the outside of the house. The vent would be between two houses in an area that sees no foot traffic and is blocked from view of the street. The problem I have is the kitchen sink on the main floor ties in to this pig slop and will have to be tied in to our improved version. Does that mean that the vent for all of this will have to be higher than the flood level of the kitchen sink? I don't think the kitchen sink is vented, but I have yet to confirm that.

What do you folks think?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
dont just vent it out the side

I am not sure what exactly you have planned with that vent on the outside of the house....

you could maybe do that.... if you were to take the stack all the way above the roof line, but its going to smell up that walkway between the houses if you leave it down low....... and no one will be happy.

as far as the kitchen you could probalby get away with an
anuto air vent that would suffice,,, if they are legal in your area...

delta_v

Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my initial post. The vent would be going all the way above the roofline on the outside of the house if that's the way we go. It would be boxed in when the siding is redone in the next year or two.
I'm thinking we may be able to use an air admittance valve in the basement instead of the atmospheric vent but am concerned as the kitchen sink will be higher than the AAV. Is this a problem?

As I said, I don't think the kitchen sink is vented, but it may be. I'll be able to check it tomorrow.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
It doesn't matter that the kitchen sink is higher than the basement as long as you connect it anywhere below the highest fixture in the basement

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 364

delta_v

Reaction score
Great! That makes life simpler. As for the size of the vent, what would I need for a 2" shower, sink and WC?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
The vent size is based on the size of the drain and your local code. If you have a vent already that is thru the roof I would use it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
piping

Without a picture or a very precise drawing, we cannot be sure that your evaluation of the original system is accurate, or that your revisions will be proper and correct.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Great! That makes life simpler. As for the size of the vent, what would I need for a 2" shower, sink and WC?
In Toronto, you can connect the entire bathroom fixtures with 1 1/2" vents. That means, 1WC, 1wash basin, 1 shower (1 1/2" trap, or 2" trap). All your vent branches inside your bathroom would need
1 1/2", but you will not be able to connect other fixtures to that vent unless you increase your initiating vent position to your first branch to 2" and then follow through the rest with 1 1/2 (That may get complicated in my explanation. Ask me if it doesn't make sense to you)

In your configuration, you can however install 1 more fixture that has 11/4 p-trap or an 1 1/2" p-trap. The amount of fixture units , in your set up , does not allow for any more than that.( The term "fixture units" has nothing to do with the amount of fixtures, but rather, a value was given for a particular size p-trap that serves the fixture)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks