Basement plumbing layout

Users who are viewing this thread

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
$3K Gulp!:eek:

I guess I'll keep the rough ones I'm using...

That last sketch should do well for you!
It certainly looks a lot simplier than the one you started with huh?:cool:

Tell me about it (re cost) :) it's certainly way more advanced than the stuff i did on here - it seems to have achieved its purpose - so thanks for all your help sorting it out --- to look back at what i started with seems a little stoopid now - tad embarrassed, I guess. but there you go.

Thanks again

novicepiper - peace

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
ok - sorry about this how would I vent the kitchen sink or is it already vented in the main stack? ( going on what i think i have learnt thus far and this willl be really painful for me if im wrong) if the main stack acts as a vent for the kitchen sink will discharge above cause it to siphon the trap or push bubbles through the trap - i guess maybe i should tie it in above the 2nd floor toilet or does it just have to be above the kitchen sink in the main stack?

I did a quick repair on the soil stack (CAST IRON) the other day - this is how this all started out - i replaced 4 ft of cracked stack in the basement and replaced it with ABS 4" I tied the waste into the stack and vented by accident to the 2 inch vent seperate to the stack and now when i flush the toilet on the second floor - there is a heavy thump from below when its about half way down the flush - there are no weird smells or anything it's just really loud when your in the bathroom. like a mini earthquake - any hows, enough of the blah blah - basically i just could do with a quick answer of how, what and where i tie the kitchen sink in re vent - the actual waste will be joing into the 4" stack as per agreed visual earlier - once someone answers this i think im good for the preposal and maybe start it soon:)

Holy crap - im all typed out now. - that was painful

Thanks again

novice piper

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The kitchen sink is probably vented by its own vent and not the stack. Or, tied into the stack above all the drains.

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
The kitchen sink is probably vented by its own vent and not the stack. Or, tied into the stack above all the drains.

are you on the computer across from my house or something- or do you have esp - that was seriously quick.

anyhows it sort of made sense to me to vent the sink obove evrything else on that stack. that was also based on mikey's cool explanation too.

thanks for that redwood.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
- basically i just could do with a quick answer of how, what and where i tie the kitchen sink in re vent - the actual waste will be joing into the 4" stack as per agreed visual earlier - once someone answers this i think im good for the preposal and maybe start it soon:)
It all depends on the location of your kitchen sink p-trap. If the p-trap is located at the end of that pipe, then it needs to be vented above the flood level rim of the sink or above the top of the sink level. I only assumed that the kitchen sink drain extended further up from its current location (As in the pic). Its was hard for me to determine where the next floor starts.

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
It all depends on the location of your kitchen sink p-trap. If the p-trap is located at the end of that pipe, then it needs to be vented above the flood level rim of the sink or above the top of the sink level. I only assumed that the kitchen sink drain extended further up from its current location (As in the pic). Its was hard for me to determine where the next floor starts.

the p trap is at the end of that pipe it will be on a 1/4 inch slope per ft toward the main stack. I was going to vent it to the main stack above the flood level of said sink, say 6 inches or so above the top of the sink bowl.

however i thought venting to the stack at that location would create issues from the 2nd floor toilet/closet via pos/neg pressure. i guess the thing im sort of not understanding is the placement of venting in the main stack (generally speaking).

Would i be right in thinking that any pressure from above re discharge would now have no bearing on the kitchen sink if there are two holes (via pipes) regarding the waste hole and the vent because there is no vacuum to be pushed or sucked from the kitchen pipe? becuase there is like a release loop created by the two holes.

hope that made sense!?

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Make sure that the sink vent is connected to the vent part of your assembly . anywhere above the top edge of your sink as a guide.

You are correct
Would i be right in thinking that any pressure from above re discharge would now have no bearing on the kitchen sink if there are two holes (via pipes) regarding the waste hole and the vent because there is no vacuum to be pushed or sucked from the kitchen pipe? becuase there is like a release loop created by the two holes.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 638

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Make sure that the sink vent is connected to the vent part of your assembly . anywhere above the top edge of your sink as a guide.

You are correct

cool thanks for that Krow - when i sort the new pipes out i will see if the 2nd floor toilet flush stops making that thunderous noise mid cycle.

man this forum is addictive - so much to be learned - id love to come and watch one of you guys work on this sort of system for the day. im sort of understanding things way better now!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Novice Piper... Ya caught onto this pretty quick!:D

I was actually in my truck between jobs on a "borrowed" Wi-Fi connection when I posted earlier...:cool:
Unsecure networks are fairgame! Secure your Wi-Fi network or you may be loaning out your bandwidth!

Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Novice Piper... Ya caught onto this pretty quick!:D

I was actually in my truck between jobs on a "borrowed" Wi-Fi connection when I posted earlier...:cool:
Unsecure networks are fairgame! Secure your Wi-Fi network or you may be loaning out your bandwidth!

Thanks for the compliment:)

you know you need a permit for borrowing people wi fi :)

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
With most wireless system coming equipped standard with encryption protocols, that only don't get activated because people knowingly disable it, I can't see how it doesn't end out being a case of "Well, you asked for it..."

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea, my feelings exactly! Besides I've taken care of a few identifying settings on the laptop in my truck:cool:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
plumbing

there has been a few holdups etc etc & a few changes to the layout...the plumbing is as exactly as it is in the image.

BLUE PIPE = 4" (upstairs to roof)
GREEN PIPE = 3" (toilet)
YELLOW PIPE = 2" (waste from lav & (can i use 2" for tub based on pipe sizes for rest of plan - or should this be 1.5?))
RED PIPE = 1.5" (venting this bathroom set only) joins to main stack in roof.

3 questions really

1) Is this correct so far - i had to flip the tub to the other end!

2) we need a drain hole in laundry room (how would i join this in to the existing pipe configuration) - i know i use 2"! ...

3) there is also a dehumidifier pipe thats runs that needs to be attched somewhere - i was thinking of running wyeconnection off the tub vent line about half way and running it up the wall vertically above the highest point - would this work (it would be behind the trap so no gas could escape and its above the highest flood point. so this is probably not going to work and its most certainly not prob code.
I think this needs to be attached to the drain hole - but i dont know how to do that without cutting into the blue pipe and venting it through the yellow (but that's prob wrong too). i need some help... i used my torch to call batman, but he's not responded..

thanks for any help

novice piper

Attachments

• modified_basement_Bathroom.jpg
    modified_basement_Bathroom.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 3,010
Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Since our approval something has been changed. The tub has lost its wet vent.

the tub had to flip (as in 180).

how do i get the venting back to the tub. MAN i thought that would work. and the floor drain situation - any help would be good, nay - FANTASTIC. im depressed now.

ps the only thing i changed was the angle of the pipe to the tubs waste!?

my foolish head thought that the only way to get the waste from the tub on the correct angle was to do it the way i did i dont think i could have done it the approved way and had the water run correctly through the wye......im so so disapointed with myself about this...

Attachments

• modified_basement_Bathroom.jpg
    modified_basement_Bathroom.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
anybody out there -please help

could someone have a look at this please - krow - redwood anybody - i appreciate any response i just need to get this floor down now - thanks in advance

please look at image above this message for existing appoved section (included within image top right in box) and the way it is with flipped tub.

i was thinking of connecting into the 4" with 4x4x2 WYE and running a seperate vent from said 2" (45 angle) that connects to the vent (above highest fixture) center of image with a 90 elbow. also was wondering if i could tie in the floor drain using a 2" WYE (tie into the tub waste line)- that prob makes no sense at all. - suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks novicepiper

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks