wye vs. sanitary-tee

Users who are viewing this thread

SuperDaddy

Reaction score
Can a 4x4x2 Wye fitting be used on a horizontal section of a 4" drain waste to tie-in a 2" tub drain? Or should a san-tee be used?

I'd like to be able to come into the 4" waste line at a 45 degree angle, as opposed to 90, but I thought I read somewhere on here that a wye could only be used on vertical drain stacks. (searched for the thread but couldn't "re-find" it).

Any help would be appreciated.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
A tee can only be used for directional changes from horizontal to vertical. Two 45s or a wye+45 should be used for directional changes from vertical to horizontal. Atleast that is how it's done where I am, the UPC might differ on the usage on sanitary fittings.

So you want a wye+45. It will give you more play to get things lined up anyways.

Last edited:

SuperDaddy

Reaction score
Just wanted to note that both of the drain sections I am referring to are horizontal. 2" horizontal tub drain going into a 4" horizontal waste line. I'd like to tie the 2" line into the 4" line at a 45 degree angle (such as a wye fitting allows).

Am I clarifying, or being redundant? hahaha. :)

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Hmm, I think I follow what you are trying to describe. You have a 4" horizonal drain line under the tub, and you want to use a wye to connect a drain to the tub on a 45 angle.

Usually you don't have enough room to work with to be able to install a tub drain like that, and it basically would wet vent the tub or not vent the tub at all. If I understand you correctly, you want to use a p-trap, then a 45 directly after, and run a section of pipe down to a wye below?

It sounds like a strange way of doing it to me, perhaps someone else should chime in.

Last edited:

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I am understanding you right, the wye is the way to go. You have a 4" horizontal run and a 2" horizontal run that you are tying together. You are not suppose to us a tee flat like that.

SuperDaddy

Reaction score
If I am understanding you right, the wye is the way to go. You have a 4" horizontal run and a 2" horizontal run that you are tying together. You are not suppose to us a tee flat like that.

Yes, this is it. I am just trying to tie together a 2 and 4 inch line (hard to understand without a picture or drawing...I should have included one). I wasn't sure if the tie-in of 2" into the 4" needed some kind of built-in sweep (like a san-tee or combo tee has) or if I could just shoot "straight in" with a wye (straight in at a 45 degree angle, that is).

But now I understand that San-tees are for changing horizontal to vertical directions.

Thanks guys!!!!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
When going from horizontal to vertical a sani-tee is used as the vertical is often the vent and you don't want the drop of the wye creating and s-trap effect. The sani-tee does not offer a lot of directional guidance and it is not needed as there is this thing called gravity that takes over.

On the horizontal without the gravity assist you need the directional guidance of the wye.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

You have your usages confused. The Y or a combination Y-1/8 bend can be used ANYWHERE. It is the sanitary tee that has its usage restricted to vertical lines when used for drainage, (not venting), purposes.

SuperDaddy

Reaction score
I think I am losing my "sani-tee" (but I enjoy learning). Hats off to the pros out there......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks