New Kitchen Sink w/slots for insta-hot

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobbyg123

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We're just about ready to move forward with a light kitchen and bath update. We're going to replace our kitchen sink and my wife to add an insta-hot device. We had a plumber come out and quote the labor and he mentioned that there are dual-bowl, deep sinks (which we want) that have slots pre-drilled for insta-hot devices or other units such as soap dispensers. As you can tell, I'm clueless in this department, so any advice would be beneficial. The sink will be a drop-in style (probably stainless steel or cast iron). What hole pattern should I look for?

Next question. We need a new garbage disposal and I've heard that there are types which are safer with young children. Is this a benefit I should consider seeing that we have 2-year old twin boys?

Final question for the post. We're considering a couple of Pegasus pre-cut granite countertops for our bathrooms. These tops have porcelain sink bowls pre-mounted and are a good value for what we're trying to do. What do you think about these? This isn't our dream home. We're trying to update it in a nice, but financially conservative manner.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm sure I'll bombard you with more questions down the road. :)

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
But seriously,...

My wife (already an instant-hot model) and I went through this exercise recently. We opted for a 4-hole pattern, thinking we could eventually fill them up with something. Right now we've got the faucet, a hand-held spray, and a soap dispenser, with a pool cue-ball just sitting in the 4th hole until we decide what to do with it. Choices include: 1) a hand-lotion dispenser; 2) an instant-hot water dispenser; 3) an air switch for the garbage disposer; 4) a super-filtered water dispenser. We'll probably go with (1). Moral: you can't have too many holes. If need be, we can switch out the faucet for a pull-out spray model to free up a hole.

Re the insta-hot water dispenser, that would be our last choice. We had one in a previous home, and it was rarely used. My wife is from the old school that says you have to heat water immediately before using, starting with cold water. The same school claims you make ice cubes starting with hot water. Go figure.

Finally, the disposer. All I could find was an add-on guard that prevents small hands or feet from getting into the throat of the disposer (http://www.safetyent.com/cart/index.php). Some safety pros advocate putting the switch a long way from the sink, there are special switches for disposers (they have to be held "on"), and several other ideas floating around out there. My choice was to get the best disposer for disposing of things, which imho is the Insinkerator Evolution 1HP, and put the special disposer switch about a foot away from the sink.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disposer

YOur wife must be really old school, because the modern way is to have an InstaHot, and an automatic ice maker that uses cold water. The disposer you are asking about is a "batch feed" with the switch in the disposers opening. You put the material into the disposer, then insert the cover and twist it to turn on the disposer. It does not keep them from throwing things into the disposer when the cover is off it, but they cannot put their hands into the disposer and turn it on at the same time, which is the safety feature.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
batch feed

I remember seeing one of those somewhere once. Struck me as a huge PITA, as are most devices designed for safety rather than primary function.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disposer

In the early days, the only disposers were the GE and Hotpoint Disposals®, and they were all batch feed. Continuous feed came later as other manufacturers began producing disposers.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Once continuous feed disposers became available the only time a batch feed was necessary was on a remodel or replacement where a wall switch was not or could not be installed. Then, along came sink deck air switches (a roll over from whirlpool tub deck switches, one of those "I wish I invented" ideas) which totally eliminated the need for a batch feed disposer.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Unless your sink ledge is made of enameled cast iron (and even these can be drilled with the right tool), you can drill the ledge, or use a punch if it's stainless steel. That way you can make as many holes as will fit on the ledge and use them for an insta hot, deck switch, soap and/orfiltered water dispenser, or air gap.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would just like to echo the earier comment about the Insinkerator Evolution line of disposers. IMHO they are the only ones I would be interested in if I was installing one in my own home... I do not have one in my home the trash can works for me!:D

adb

Reaction score
I would just like to echo the earier comment about the Insinkerator Evolution line of disposers. IMHO they are the only ones I would be interested in if I was installing one in my own home... I do not have one in my home the trash can works for me!:D

As a garbage disposal junkie, I concur wholeheartedly (I know I know, you don't like the Badger 5 :)). The Evolution series includes a batch feed model, the Evolution Cover Control, which should satisfy the original poster's safety concerns. I think it's about $250. The lid triggers a magnetic switch to turn the unit on (thus, absent mechanical failure, it theoretically cannot run without the lid on).

If they want two layers of safety, a wall switch + batch feed should do the trick nicely. Given the way the Evolution series is going, I'm surprised they don't have a retina scanner to turn it on yet :D

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I know I know, you don't like the Badger 5

No the Bager 1 & 5 are fine units that go well with a Glacier Bay faucet in a kitchen... Cheap and disposable!

Imagine that! A diposable disposer! :D

Last edited:

Bobbyg123

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the feeback everyone. I'm not normally over the top on safety issues, but in our case we have 2 year old twin boys. While it probably wouldn't happen, I can envision a scenario down the road where the boys get bored and climb onto the counters. Since they do just about everything together, one could have his arm down the disposal when the other accidentally flips the switch. It sounds far fetched, but any of you with young boys know how "busy" they are exploring the forbidden areas of the house. You can double that with twins, and they already work as a team. I was looking at the 1-hp Waste King Batch Feed Model 9980TC , but if you guys think that insinkerator makes a better disposal I'll consider that. Consumer reports likes the Waste King (and it comes with a 10-year warranty), but we all know that CR doesn't always know what they're talking about.

Good tips on the kitchen sink as well. I seems like after talking with some people that you might as well get as many holes as you can (within reason of course). A 5-hole sink would actually make sense for us, as my wife keeps the sink area cluttered with hand soap, dish soap, hand sanitizer, etc. A 5-hole sink would allow for the faucet, the insta-hot, and at least one dispenser for hand soap or hand sanitizer.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the line, they are not a common brand here. I do understand they are very popular on the left coast and in talking with other plumbers from the left coast they are considered to be a very good disposer. I understand they used to be referred to as "Bone Crushers":D

Perhaps their top rating will bring them into this area more heavily. I'm sure that somebody somewhere around here sells them but I haven't seen one yet. Its interesting to note that they do have replacement parts available. I understand that they are seldom used but are available. The insinkerator line is all pretty much replace when it dies with little more than gaskets, switches and covers available.

adb

Reaction score
Imagine that! A diposable disposer! :D

I wonder if one could successfully feed a Badger 1 (sliced into quadrants on the bandsaw to make it fit into the drain) through an Evolution Excel. Sort of like the Blendtec commercials.

I vote yes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disposer

The air switch does not "do away with the need for a batch feed". The batch feed by its nature has the safety feature that it CANNOT be operated without the sink plug in place, which, as this person has stated, could happen with children. Waste King and GE/Hotpoint were premier brands at one time, but with mergers and competition, I have turned away from them and gone exclusively ISE. The ISE batch feed has a 7 or 10 year warranty, but regardless of the length, I do not know of any that have failed within the warranty period. Conversely, I know of many that worked years after they were worn out and should have been replaced,but, like the Energizer Bunny, just kept going, and going, and going.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks