French curve toilet seat on Toto toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffZX

Reaction score
I am considering the Toto Ultramax toilet but heard that they all Toto toilets come with what is called a French curve toilet seat, and am concerned whether I would like this shape (I have had a round seat on a Murray toilet for the last 20 years). I was told by the salesperson that I could install a regular shape elongated toilet seat if desired, but that it would most likely not match the color of the Toto toilet as the Toto toilet is so much more white than the other models.

I wonder why Toto does not offer an option in this area?

Appreciate any comments on the above.

Thanks!

ss114_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto makes two different whites. Not all toilets are available in both, but most are. Any time you get a seat from a different manufacturer, it is a crapshoot to match the color. You can often get close. Neither I nor my mother who I installed two Totos for have any problems with the seats. Not all of the models come with a seat as part of the package...it is optional on some.

JeffZX

Reaction score
Toto makes two different whites. Not all toilets are available in both, but most are. Any time you get a seat from a different manufacturer, it is a crapshoot to match the color. You can often get close. Neither I nor my mother who I installed two Totos for have any problems with the seats. Not all of the models come with a seat as part of the package...it is optional on some.

Thanks for prompt reply.....so Toto does not make a "regular shape" enlongated seat? Salesman did not tell me about two different white; he just stated "cotton white". Is that the most white? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is no fixed shape for a toilet! If you want the seat to match the curve exactly, buy one from the manufacturer of the toilet. The only thing fairly standard is the location of the bolts holding it down. Yes, an other manufacturer's seat will physically fit, but it won't be a perfect match. WIll you notice? Depends. same with the colors.

Go to www.totousa.com and you can see which toilets are available in which colors. Note, once you get away from white, the prices can (some are only slightly more) go high quickly for the same porcelain...depends on the color. Somewhere burried there, is a cross-reference to color matches with other manufacturers.

JeffZX

Reaction score
There is no fixed shape for a toilet! If you want the seat to match the curve exactly, buy one from the manufacturer of the toilet. The only thing fairly standard is the location of the bolts holding it down. Yes, an other manufacturer's seat will physically fit, but it won't be a perfect match. WIll you notice? Depends. same with the colors.

Go to www.totousa.com and you can see which toilets are available in which colors. Note, once you get away from white, the prices can (some are only slightly more) go high quickly for the same porcelain...depends on the color. Somewhere burried there, is a cross-reference to color matches with other manufacturers.

Does Toto make a "regular" non-French curve seat for its toilets (Ultramax)? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The SS204 is a flatter seat than the SS114 that comes with the Ultramax.

At the moment, one of my bathrooms has a flat toilet seat.
I don't like it.
The shaped of the SS114 makes more sense to me.
It's one of my big sellers too.
It's very common for past customers to tell me they have to have it.
I sold 452 Toto Softclose seats last year for the two-piece toilets and 143 builder grade seats.
That means of the seats for two-piece toilets that I sold last year, 75.9% were the Softclose.

ss114_01.jpg

Last edited:

JeffZX

Reaction score
The SS204 is a flatter seat than the SS114 that comes with the Ultramax.

At the moment, one of my bathrooms has a flat toilet seat.
I don't like it.
The shaped of the SS114 makes more sense to me.
It's one of my big sellers too.
It's very common for past customers to tell me they have to have it.

Thanks Terry. If for some reason I am not fond of the Toto seats, would I have a problem installing another manufacturer; i.e., Kohler seat? Thanks!

ss114_02.jpg

Toto Softclose seat

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's all standard sizing.
At the hardware stores, you will find either regular, or elongated.
A Kohler seat would work in a pinch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks