American Standard Shower Valve issue

Users who are viewing this thread

jsanfilippo

Reaction score
Hi all,

My American Standard shower valve is giving me problems. Sometimes the water simply won't be hot, other times, it's scalding. It's only a problem in that shower.

Today, I took the cartridge out and took it to a plumbing supply. They said it was an R120, and that if I call Am. St., they would send me a replacement free. They also suggested I get a Balancing Spool kit, as that might be the problem.

When I found out it would be a week till the replacement parts came, I decided to take the cartidge and balancing spool out of the other shower that rarely gets used (same valve system) to put into the defective one.

I replaced the cartridge just fine without issues. But I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get at the balancing spool. They told me on the phone that it should just be "behind" the catridge. But I cannot get that assembly apart. I'm reluctant to force it, as I'm afraid I'll break the whole thing and then have a much bigger problem of opening up the wall to do a full replacement.

The problem definately wasn't the cartridge, as I did that swap and the problem continues.

Any suggestions on getting at the balancing spool?

Would photos of the assembly be helpful? If so, I'll post some.

Thanks for any input!

jamie

Last edited:

jsanfilippo

Reaction score
As far as I know, it's R120. It was in the house when I bought it, and I don't have paperwork. That's what they told me at the plumbing supply, and it looks like an R120 as shown online.

jsanfilippo

Reaction score
Sorry - the exact set of trim pieces isn't shown there. It's a single level handle, but a handheld shower head.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm not sure how identifying the trim is helpful. Isn't R120 the model of the valve? Can't you have various trim pieces, but the same valve?

This appears to be the same valve as I have.... but if there are others that look the same, then I can't be sure.

Is part of the confusion because I'm in Canada? Are model numbers and such different here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The balancing spool for the R120 is M952100-0070A. It should just pop right out, after you remove 3 small screws from the fixation ring.. The literature sheet for that valve is M968687A. If you don'
t find it on the web, call AmStd and ask for that literature.

jsanfilippo

Reaction score
The balancing spool for the R120 is M952100-0070A. It should just pop right out, after you remove 3 small screws from the fixation ring.. The literature sheet for that valve is M968687A. If you don'
t find it on the web, call AmStd and ask for that literature.

By fixation ring, do you mean the brass plate that is immediately behind the cartridge? If so, then I did remove that, and nothing just "popped" out. I pulled on it and still nothing. I'll post some photos to confirm we are talking about the same piece.

I wasn't able to find the document online that you mentioned. You don't have a PDF of it, do you?

jsanfilippo

Reaction score
Great - that second document is helpful!
What's the 1/2" NPT plug? It looks like it might come up from the bottom into the balancing unit?

I know now that I am dealing with the same unit you guys are talking about - this is exactly what it looks like in my wall.

So the balancing unit should just come out with a little negotiating once the screws and the disk are removed?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The plug mentioned is used at initial installation to plug either the tub or shower outlet, if one of them is not to be used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks