Fixing a toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Martini

Reaction score
What's wrong with my toilet?

I flush it and the level in the bowl gets real high and doesn't flush. The tank fills up and then the water in the bowl leaks down the drain slowly until it's almost empty. Isn't that defying gravity?

I tried using a toilet auger on it and it doesn't seem to be clogged. Anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong? Any help would be much appreciated as if I don't fix it soon, my wife's going to make me call a plumber.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a clog. A toilet auger is only in the order of maybe 5'...the clog could easily be further along the drain. It is also possible that the auger did not remove what may be actually in the toilet's trap. Something like a small toy, a pencil, pen, etc., can catch the solids and paper, but let the auger go buy. It takes some finesse sometimes to catch it and remove.

Martini

Reaction score
Another thing that makes me think there's something going on besides a clog, is that after the tank is done filling, you can hear and see the water level going down in the bowl.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Clogs are seldom complete...the water will seep through the restriction, allowing the level to recede eventually. Removing the toilet would give you access to the line to snake it out since you can't do it well through the toilet. If there is a cleanout nearby, that would be possible without removing the toilet. It would also give you the oppportunity to see if there is a toy, pencil, crayon, etc., caught in the toilet.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Another thing that makes me think there's something going on besides a clog, is that after the tank is done filling, you can hear and see the water level going down in the bowl.

To some degree this is normal. It also may be a cracked bowl and the lowered water level is causing the weak flush. Its hard to say as we are not there to check it out and we are getting symptoms piecemeal without being sure of accuracy.

You are going to lift the toilet anyway to check the wax ring and inspect the trapway for an object. Use this opporitunity to check for a crack and leakage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks