2-12gauge and a 14 gauge for ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Trackerxx

Reaction score
Is it okay for me to use two 12 gauge (for hot and neutral) and one 14 gauge wire for ground? I think 14 gauge is easier to work with but I don't want to violate code.

I'm installing a dedicated circuit running EMT for a gas dryer.

Thanks.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Is it okay for me to use two 12 gauge (for hot and neutral) and one 14 gauge wire for ground? I think 14 gauge is easier to work with but I don't want to violate code.

I'm installing a dedicated circuit running EMT for a gas dryer.

Thanks.

Wouldn't the EMT be the ground?

If you install a wire for the equipment grounding conductor it MUST be a #12

MarkHash

Reaction score
I am sure it's against the code, but it would definitely carry the fault current long enough to pop the breaker, which is what it is there for. I'm sure there are deep reasons for like sized ground wires but it escapes me right now. Probably to make sure the circuit breaker operates properly in much larger applications.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know code, but I would use 12/3 color coded for 220VAC. (Red, Black, and Green) Of course electricity doesn't care what color the wire is, but if it had to be worked on in the future, it might help.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I don't know code, but I would use 12/3 color coded for 220VAC. (Red, Black, and Green) Of course electricity doesn't care what color the wire is, but if it had to be worked on in the future, it might help.

12/3 is ROMEX® and it contains a white, black, red and a bare ground. It's 4W, which most new dryers should be. For a 220VAC dryer this COULD be used, but generally they're at least 30A so a 10/3 would be used for the increased amperage. He also said that he's running EMT, so ROMEX® probably isn't the right choice. Lastly, a gas dryer is probably 120VAC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking that he could supply a 15A breaker and then get away with it, but the more that I think about it, if you increase the current carrying conductor (say for voltage drop, for example), I'm pretty sure the ground needs increased too. The EMT could be used if its continous and contains any appropriate bonding jumpers.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking that he could supply a 15A breaker and then get away with it, but the more that I think about it, if you increase the current carrying conductor (say for voltage drop, for example), I'm pretty sure the ground needs increased too. The EMT could be used if its continous and contains any appropriate bonding jumpers.

210.11(C)(2) requires a 20 amp laundry circuit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks