Copper Prices!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

FaucetTrev

Reaction score
Hey guys I am in the scrap business as well as plumbing and recieved some numbers this week for copper and brass. I am getting $3.93 for number 1 copper and $2.40 for brass this is per pound. Over the past 2 weeks this stuff has went crazy and im just letting you know to stock up on fittings etc because it will be affecting self prices quickly. I have talked with purchasing agents for copper they told me today that copper could hit the 6-8 dollar range per pound this is nuts.

Trevor

MG

Reaction score
I read an article a month or two ago about an older neighborhood in the Cleveland area where foreclosures are rampant...after the house is vacated thieves are going in and pretty much destroying the house to get all the copper out of them.

Nate R

Reaction score
I read an article a month or two ago about an older neighborhood in the Cleveland area where foreclosures are rampant...after the house is vacated thieves are going in and pretty much destroying the house to get all the copper out of them.

That's common in a LOT of places. Some bad areas will have scrap guys pulling aluminum siding off of vacant houses as well! :eek:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
It's not only common in vacant houses, but in occupied too. You find someone has broken in not only to steal your TV and your stereo, but your piping and electrical wire as well!

Nate R

Reaction score
With the markets the way they are, tons of $ is being dumped into commodities, driving up prices. It certainly doesn't help copper or oil prices. The dollar is so weak, oil looks worse than it probably is. If my thinking is right, oil in 2002 dollars would be about $65/barrel right now. But the dollar has fallen so much, it's way up there!

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Copper closed @ $3.98/lb on the Comex today. Copper tube and fittings price sheets have both jumped twice in the last 2 weeks. I placed a stocking order right before the first jump, thanks to a heads up from one of my suppliers.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I did a repipe recently where the thieves left the new computer and tv but stole all the copper pipes.

FaucetTrev

Reaction score
Yea it is getting pretty bad out there! people stealing aluminum siding off houses where i live, as well as taking copper out of houses in fact a few months back some city officials in my area got caught taking cash from people that they were letting into condemned houses to take copper etc. I mean the scrap prices are nice to go in and get a few bucks but it is short term gain for long term pain as China has 87% of the worlds metals etc and when we need stuff over here we pay big.

Trevor

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Did not realize they had gone back up

It makes me wonder what is going to happen
when China finally getss done with its building
frenzey.......

if they are willing to buy up anything that they can for
whatever price they can get their hands on it for....

what does the future hold????

they claim that China is building a city the size of
San Franscisco every two weeks......

when that bubble bursts , or they run out of room
look out.....

anyway, I got about 1000 lbs in 5 gal buckets to take in

and maybe another 1500 in brass....

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Mark
Reread Nate's comments. It's not China that's driving this bubble, it's capital fishing for higher returns than it can presently expect from the equity markets.

Fubar411

Reaction score
There was an article in yesterdays wall st journal about a company that was trying to manufacture shoes in the USA. They tried competing in sneakers and were just buried by labor costs. They then decided to specialize in fine men's shoes, but the infastructure to make shoes doesn't exist here anymore. They couldn't get the right kinds of foam, or custom eyelet holes or anything without having everything shipped from China and in huge quantities.

If we can't make shoes anymore, our country is in trouble.

Nate R

Reaction score
Our capital dumping isn't the only thing. When China's done, India will pick up some of the slack. They're also coming up in a big way fast. Plenty of Africa that is yet to be developed. Peak oil will really throw a wrench in the spokes of the world economy for a little while.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
There was an article in yesterdays wall st journal about a company that was trying to manufacture shoes in the USA. They tried competing in sneakers and were just buried by labor costs. They then decided to specialize in fine men's shoes, but the infastructure to make shoes doesn't exist here anymore. They couldn't get the right kinds of foam, or custom eyelet holes or anything without having everything shipped from China and in huge quantities.

If we can't make shoes anymore, our country is in trouble.

New balance makes sneakers and Allen-Edmonds makes very fine mens shoes in the us. What company was in the wsj article?

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
its been comming since nafta

Its all been comming since NAFTA was signed into law back in 95......

Ross Perot said that their would be a "giant sucking sound "

that we would hear when all our jobs would be sucked down to Mexico and china...

leaving us with nothing but our shorts to hold onto

We did not want those blue collar jobs back then becasue
no one here was willing to work for 15 bucks an hour...

back in 99 I could not get anyone to work for me
for less than 23 per hour, a truck to dirve home
and a good benefit package....
plus a paid 2 week vacation ---thats just starting out ..

AND THEY ACTED LIKE THEY
WERE DOING ME A FAVOR JUST SHOWING UP..

now I got a 26 year old .....2 year apprentice that
called me on the phone this week wanting to come to work
for me at 12 per hour...

I suppose that their is a silver lineing to everything ....

Now why not ....lets elect hillary and bill again...
they promise that we will all get free health benefits....

or maybe obama will give us all welfare checks
re-distribute the wealth
and put everyone up for free in all the foreclosed homes....

enough ranting and raveing for now...

i am loading up my copper today...

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Rugged...copper prices are good..

I think it is pretty high right now......

I just got a quote for plumbers copper 3.40
for the dirty stuff

got a quote for dirty brass at 2.00

I got about 800 lbs of copper
and about 1500 lbs of brass

they did tell me that it might be at a higher price on Tuesday

but I am a little worried that some dirt bag might just clean me out if I dont get rid of it soon,...or some
past employee might get it in his head to break in

the neighborhood that my office is in is pretty rough,
and the junk people almost fight over the water heaters I leave in the alley every day....

they usually only last about 2 minutes. on the ground.

and when we have a delivery of any form they drive by
and watch us unload like vultures...

so I think its best at least for me to take the money and run........

R

Rancher

I just got a quote for plumbers copper 3.40
for the dirty stuff
What determines the different grades of copper, I have wire that I have melted the insulation off of, is it considered dirty, or should I have left the insulation on it?

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks