Copper Tees marked CFI?

Users who are viewing this thread

scrunchielaura

Reaction score
I picked up two 1 x 3/4 x 1 copper tees at a small independent plumbing supply store. They are marked "CFI". What brand/manufacturer is this?

The quality control on these tees is bad. One is longer than the other and has more pronounced forming ridges than the other. I compared them to a big box store obtained Nibco 1 x 3/4 x 3/4. The CFI's are significantly lighter than the Nibco. Nibco and EPC catalogs both say that a 1 x 3/4 x 1 should weigh more than a 1 x 3/4 x 3/4. The top/back (ie side with no port) of the CFI's is thin whereas the Nibco is thick in this area. A Nibco 3/4 x 3/4 x 3/4 is also thick there. I guess that's why the CFI's weigh less.

The more I look at these CFI tees, the less I want to use them. I'm thinking I should look harder for a better brand.

My application for these tees:

I want to prepare to someday code upgrade to a 1 inch service line in from the water meter. Right now the service runs an extra 13 feet along the house before coming up out of the ground to feed the house via a tee mounted outdoors behind a hose bib. From that point it is 3/4 inch copper throughout the house except for 1/2 inch feeding individual fixtures.

The house has 26.5 total fixture units. Cold is 21.375 units and hot is 12.375 by the 3/4ths rule from the UPC. Elevation change is negligible and max distance is 80 feet. My understanding is that the service line should be 1 inch and that this can drop to 3/4 once a few fixtures tee off. Hot is fine with 3/4 throughout.

I want to bring the 1 inch service line in tucked between two floor joists. After a 1 x 3/4 x 1 tee, this line would continue as 3/4 inch to a wall and then down to a water heater. Below the tee, a second similar tee would feed an under-joist distribution log using 1 inch to the left and 3/4 to the right.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
CFI ... Maybe it's one of those bad Chinese English translations

China From Inferior

mirage2000

Reaction score
ye.. CFI

There is really such companyandthey are from china goole it.:eek:

my wholeseller switched their entire fitting line to this brand CFI couple years ago, the fittings are thiner and lighter for sure, I was swearing about it and really hate to use them at first, but we only got one plumbing whoeseller in the area and the fittings are 10-20% cheaper compare to Muller or Nibco. surprisingly I haven't got any leaker yet, I guess copper is copper, as long as the water pressure doesn't go over 400 you can still give them a try.

have you guys tried Pex yet? had any issue with it ?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
, I guess copper is copper, ?

Not true. China is infamous for producing inferior metal alloys. I don't know anything about your fittings, but don't assume they are "ok". I don't see how they can be lighter and still be 'the same'

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
There was a time in this country when all plumbing materials were thouroughly tested for quality before they were stamped and allowed to be sold and used. I am sure that these Chinese fittings also passed the rigourous testing and came through with flying colors. Right after the proper amount of cash was left in a brown envelope on somebody's desk.

" It must be good, it's been approved" means Jack Squat these days. How else do you think all the plastic crap made it through the doors?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
CFI= Chinese f*&%^$&% Imelicans.

Cast from old wire, vets cast grave markers, and real pipes stolen by crack heads in detroit. Its a "world economy!" Probably a good dose of computer motherboards tossed in the furnace for good measure. By 10 year olds.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
CFI= Chinese f*&%^$&% Imelicans.

Cast from old wire, vets cast grave markers, and real pipes stolen by crack heads in detroit. Its a "world economy!" Probably a good dose of computer motherboards tossed in the furnace for good measure. By 10 year olds.

Yikes!

However, I did call CFI (Copperfit Industries, Inc.) copperfit.com They proudly say on their web site that they started 12 years ago doing business out of a 100 sq ft U-Haul storage unit in 2000. Now they have an 18,000 sq ft warehouse in Pomona. A real American success story. Oh, wait. When asked, they said that their fittings are "imported". I didn't go beyond that. Maybe they are imported from someplace respected for engineering and manufacturing quality, like Germany or Japan. Ya think?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Any warehouse in Pomona CA. imports from the cheapest producer in any part of asia you can think of. Germany? dream on.

If you buy their fittings, invest in a water leak sensor. Another nail in the US industrial coffin. There are a million ways to make "copper" and the good old boys with our stolen scrap and old computers have the quality control of the dollar stores.

My local supplier started buying china wire nuts. SAME PRICE as the USA variety. they are crap - they break, the spring is wound by kids with soft wire.... etc. Why? No honor for a good and safe job and an extra nickel in his pocket per nut. May his nuts explode.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/NIBCO-Tee-5P109?Pid=search A FITTING WITH SPECS.

Your child labor imported tee might be 3$ but the leak will cost you $3000. Pick your poison.

this USA fitting is likely the same or less than an import:http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/NIBCO-Elbow-5P053?cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks