My water pump circut breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

ksandypt

Reaction score
The water pump circuit breaker keeps going off as soon as I reset it. Is this electrical or is it an issue with the pump? Is there anything I can do or should I call electrician or plumber?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Turn off the power and disonnect/cap off the wiring at the pump.

Turn the breaker back on.

If it still trips, it's the wiring. If it clears, it's the pump.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Turn off the power and disonnect/cap off the wiring at the pump.

Turn the breaker back on.

If it still trips, it's the wiring. If it clears, it's the pump.
But the pump is 300' down. :eek: :D

(Hey, you did say AT the pump. ;) )

Seriously, I agree, go to the pressure switch and disconnect the load wires (to the pump). If it clears, call a plumber. If it still trips, call an electrician.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Disconnect the wires from the pressure switch and do the breaker test again as suggested and described above. Then, using your multimeter (homeowners should own one) measure the winding resistance of the motor and the resistance between the wires to the pump and ground. The answer will tell you if the fault is in the wiring down the well or the pump, but may not tell you which it is.

If there is a short circuit or a short to ground then you have a down-hole problem which means that you should call a well service man, unless you are an agressive DIYer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks