New softener makes every day a bad hair day

Users who are viewing this thread

Anne

Reaction score
We recently installed a Kinetico water softener. Now when I wash my hair, it lies heavy and flat on my head. I have to shower at the gym for my hair to look decent. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Can anyone suggest a fix?

Cookie

Reaction score
You might have to change shampoos if you are using one with a moisturer or conditioner in it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hair

Not sure about your hair problem, but I would never recommend a Kinetico water softener, but only because of it being well overpriced and overhyped.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I always had problems with the feel of my skin and the feel of my hair when I was at my grand mothers because of her water softener. You need to try a few different shampoos and soaps.

I don’t see many water softeners where I’m at and don’t know much about them. But could the settings be off on the unit?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
We recently installed a Kinetico water softener. Now when I wash my hair, it lies heavy and flat on my head. I have to shower at the gym for my hair to look decent. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Can anyone suggest a fix?
You may be using too much shampoo, and you should not need conditioner. You may have to find a new shampoo that is more agreeable or tolerant of soft water. Your hair is cleaner now when washed in softened water than it is when washed in hard water. It is a rare thing for someone to mention a hair problem after installing a softener but... your hair should have less 'body' to it when it is cleaner because of having no hard water caused shampoo residue on it. That may be the "flat" part and usually your hair will be less likely to stay in place because it is 'wispier' and will blow around easier than when washed in hard water.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
good answer.....

You may be using too much shampoo, and you should not need conditioner. You may have to find a new shampoo that is more agreeable or tolerant of soft water. Your hair is cleaner now when washed in softened water than it is when washed in hard water. It is a rare thing for someone to mention a hair problem after installing a softener but... your hair should have less 'body' to it when it is cleaner because of having no hard water caused shampoo residue on it. That may be the "flat" part and usually your hair will be less likely to stay in place because it is 'wispier' and will blow around easier than when washed in hard water.

Gary....do you think that she will believe your answer??

do you get a lot of complaints like that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks