Quiet flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Locker

Reaction score
Building a new house, have spent a RIDICULOUS amount of time researching toilets. Our criteria has whittled the list down to three: Toto Vespin CST764SG, Kohler Pressure Lite K-3505, and American Standard Cadet 3. The deciding criteria will be the loudness of the flush, but I have been able to hear only the Toto G-Max, which I found to be noisier than expected. Can anybody compare the loudness of the flushes of these three cans? Appreciated.

index.php

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is all heresay, but are my opinion. People that seem to know imply the Cadet 3 is a copy of the Drake. The Drake and the Vespin use the same flush mechanism, but the Vespin uses the Unifit adapter. The adapter is not embedded in the toilet, and could be louder than the Drake. I've put Drakes in my mother's house, and have a Vespin and Carlyle in mine (mostly because I like the skirted design which makes cleaning easier). All of these make sort of a gulp at the end when the suction is broken, ending the flush.

The pressure assist is likely to be the noisiest of those three - just the quick release of the pressure can be startling to some people, and is nothing close to subtle. I don't think there is any toilet that is truely quiet except maybe an outhouse - but the flies and mosquitoes may exclude that from consideration!

There are probably a few people here that can give a valid personal comparison. Personally, I'd stay away from power assisted flush mechnisms...noisey, and take more maintenance (and you'll probably not find the parts everwhere like you can for most others, either).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Cadet 3 has some things they copied from the Toto line, but in action, it is different in a few ways. It has a bit more splash with the large rim holes near the front of the bowl.

Nothing that works real well is totally quiet, but the old five and three-fives weren't quiet either.

My daughter has the Drake, and it seems pretty quiet.

SeekingAdvice

Reaction score
Looking for quiet toilet with a 10 inch rough

Hello,
I want to replace an American Standard Flushometer with a quiet toilet with a tank. The one I have now sounds like Niagra Falls when it flushes -- not very subtle if you know what I mean.

The new toilet needs to fit a 10 inch rough in.

I want an elogated seat that is comfortable for a man or a woman.

Ideas?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
CT705_zoom.jpg

Newer 1.6 bowls and flushometers are quieter.
They can be found with 10" rough in the elongated bowls.
Changing to a tank type toilet wouldn't be any quieter, and would require changing the water supply in the wall.
I installed one like this for a church that was fairly quiet.

SeekingAdvice

Reaction score
Looking for quiet toilet with a 10 inch rough -- follow-up question

Terry,

Thank you for the quick reply! My Contractor says I can swap out the flushometer for a toilet with a tank.

Which toilet with a tank would you recommend for a 10 inch rough in?

I am leaning towards the Toto Guinevere but I am worried it would be too small for a man to use comfortably. Your thoughts?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ms974_02.jpg

Too small?
It comes with an elongated seat, and with a bowl height of 16-1/8"
The Guinevere or the Soiree would be good choices.
With either, you can use the 10" Unift to move the bowl to fit the rough-in.
All the contractor has to do is provide a standard water supply.

SeekingAdvice

Reaction score
Looking for quiet toilet with a 10 inch rough -- follow-up question

Terry,

Great news, thanks. Are they reasonably quiet? Or is there a quieter model I should consider?

The one I have now sounds like a boat launching from a dock.

Thanks

Locker

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry and jadnashua. I figured that the power assisted flush would be noisier, so I eliminated the Kohler from my list. Since I have to replace the toilets in my current house, I went out and bought a Cadet 3. Here's my comparison of the flush noise: the Cadet 3 seems, to me anyway, to have a quieter flush than the G-max system. The Cadet 3 takes 35 seconds to cycle through the flush at my current house; the G-max took only 22 seconds at my son's house. I suppose that may have to do with a possible water pressure difference between the two houses. And if that's the case, then the Cadet 3 may be louder with a higher water pressure.

If I have any problems at all with the Cadet 3, I'll write this board and advise. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks