attic bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

dhobs

Reaction score
getting ready to install a full bathroom in my homes attic. my question is, what clearance is needed depth wise for the closet bend and the trap for the tub? the joists are 7" deep plus the 3/4 for the floor. Am i going to have to pick the floor up or worst yet go into the ceiling below to get the clearance i need? any comments,suggestions would be helpful. Have the basic knowledge to rough in a bathroom, but they were basement projects.Thanks

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
getting ready to install a full bathroom in my homes attic. my question is, what clearance is needed depth wise for the closet bend and the trap for the tub? the joists are 7" deep plus the 3/4 for the floor. Am i going to have to pick the floor up or worst yet go into the ceiling below to get the clearance i need?

Yes. Besides the clearance issues, you can't bore a very big hole through a 7" joist.

Speaking of joists...

You also need to make sure your attic floor can take the weight of a bathroom. A lot of the time, you're dealing with joists that weren't sized for that kind of load. Seriously - no joke - spend a couple hundred bucks on an engineer before deciding whether it's worth it.

dhobs

Reaction score

thanks, aware of the weight problem, going to have tear up the existing floor and double up the joists were the tub will be sitting. it's a small house and the span will not be greater than 12' to pick up the load bearing wall beneath. going to have to check load limits for span and load allowed. appreciate the advice

Nate R

Reaction score
My closet bend fits in a 6" (REAL 6") joist bay, but I don't know if today's bends are a larger radius

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A toilet can be drained with either a 3 or a 4". If you go with a 3", you'll have less of a depth issue. Keep in mind the 1/4" per foot slope needed on its horizontal runs, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks