Why does my shower water temperature gradually get cooler?

Users who are viewing this thread

rhliberman

Reaction score
When I set the water temperature before stepping into the shower, within a minute or so I can feel the water getting cooler. I have to continuously keep increasing the hot water.

I have plenty of hot water, the temperature just will not stay constant.

This only occurs in the master bathroom, not the others.

Thanks

Fidodie

Reaction score
your expansion tank is in a warm area, and the water coming from the water main is colder and mixing with it. the result is the cold water gets colder. This assumes you have a well, and expansion tank and the well is kicking in.

other possibility is your dip tube on your water heater is broken off.
cold water gets into the top of your water heater, instead of the bottom...here's a visual.

Water_Heater_Basic15.gif

it directs cold to the bottom, and pushes hot out the top...

condo/apartment or home? well or city service?

Last edited:

rhliberman

Reaction score
What brand is the valve? Do the other fixtures in the bathroom have problems?

I replaced the compression valves myself a couple of years ago. I picked up the valves from a local plumbing supplier. Knowing me, I must have done something wrong - so, it could be the valves?

rhliberman

Reaction score
your expansion tank is in a warm area, and the water coming from the water main is colder and mixing with it. the result is the cold water gets colder. This assumes you have a well, and expansion tank and the well is kicking in.

Thanks, but since this only happens in the master bathroom I don't think it's a water heater problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks