pipe coming out of concrete at an angle

Users who are viewing this thread

xnaron

Reaction score
The builder roughed in our plumbing in the basement. The toilet pipe is a 4" abs pipe coming out of the concrete. It is sticking up about 1.5' above the floor. The problem is that the pipe is coming out at a slight angle. It wasn't too noticeable but if I put a level on it it is out of level quite a bit left to right. I used a square on the right side and it wasn't too bad in relation to the slab (1/8" at bottom of square corner to side of pipe) but the left side looks a little worse. Is there any type of flange I can get to work with this? Should I break up the concrete around the pipe and try and straighten make it perpendicular to the floor?

Any help really appreaciate. I'd prefer to not break up the concrete if possible but I want to do it right so I will if thats what is required.

thanks,
Brendin

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a little slop when inserting the flange into the pipe. I've not worked with ABS, but I've heard less of the ABS is softened in the joint than with PVC, so I'm not sure.

xnaron

Reaction score
There's a little slop when inserting the flange into the pipe. I've not worked with ABS, but I've heard less of the ABS is softened in the joint than with PVC, so I'm not sure.

Thanks...I'd like to cut the pipe flush with the floor and see if I can make it work...but if it doesn't and I need to break up the concrete the pipe will be cut at an angle and when I push it perpendicular it will fall a little below the concrete. Would this be a problem when installing the flange? or can I get flanges with deeper throats?

Brendin

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I don't think that minor angle will be a factor. Keep in mind that these joints are 'interference fits'. This means that the fitting will be tight and may not seat until it is smeared with the cleaner and glue. Those actually melt the pipe a little and weld things together once the solvent vents off(at least on PVC - not that sure about ABS).

xnaron

Reaction score
I don't think that minor angle will be a factor. Keep in mind that these joints are 'interference fits'. This means that the fitting will be tight and may not seat until it is smeared with the cleaner and glue. Those actually melt the pipe a little and weld things together once the solvent vents off(at least on PVC - not that sure about ABS).

It wasn't an issue...I cut off the pipe level witht the floor then used an angle grinder to take down the concrete at the high spots around the pipe. The closet fits nicely around the floor. Once I glue it and bolt it down it will be plub to the floor. Also the inside flush mount closet has a little play to the joint which helped as well.

thanks

Brendin

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Keep in mind that a toilet flange is designed to be installed on TOP of the FINISHED floor.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Abs takes glue only and will bend alot easer than pvc. I have used pvc in the past and really like working with abs. I think it looks nicer longer and no primer to deal with. It is very common in western Mass.

xnaron

Reaction score
Keep in mind that a toilet flange is designed to be installed on TOP of the FINISHED floor.

Yeah I haven't cemented it into place yet. I am just glueing linoleum to the concrete floor so I don't think it will be an issue if the linoleum is or isn't under the flange as its only about 1/16" high. My plan is to put the linoleum under the flange.

Brendin

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks