1.3 GPF in California

Users who are viewing this thread

in wants out

Reaction score
Somebody said supply house told them that 1.6 GPF Toilets were not going to be sold after July 2008. Appears Gov. Arnold vetoed in 2006. Anybody know the current status?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sacramento conveniently hushes up any publicity on consumer issues like this, just like you have not probably heard about the 2008 light bulb laws, which I just talked about down in the electrical thread.

At some date, and I don't know for sure if Jan 2008 is it, but at SOME date, they will start phasing in the 1.28 gallon per flush. What it
means is that each manufacturer will have to make a certain percentage of their total production in that setup. The first year, which may be now, the new ones will be available, but there will only be a few. Each year for about 4 years if I remember, the % will increase, until by about 2012, then 100% of toilets sold in CA will have to be the 1.28GPF

I would suspect, but have not read, that some water districts will do what they have always done here since 1990 on 1.6.......mandate a 1.28 gallon be installed on the sale of a house. At some point, it will be mandatory on remodel and new construction, and I do not know if that date is now or 2012.

This is all a good question to run at your state assembly man's office. But I would not expect quick response right now, as they are gearing up to do battle with Arnold's proposal to close state beaches to balance the budget!! Arnold.....have you lost your ^#%^@# mind??? This is CALIFORNIA....SURF CITY.......home of the Beach Boys! Close the beaches over my dead body!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In my home, I was using the dual flush Toto Aquia in the main bath, worked very well.
One bathroom has a 1.1 gallon Vortens
Downstairs has a 1.6 Ultramax,

I have changed the main bath to a 1.28 gallon Eco Drake.

Dropping to lower flush volumes isn't going to be an issue it seems.

in wants out

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. And I guess the Golden State needs the lower GPF's with the recent years low rainfall and population growth.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
HET (High-Efficiency Toilet) wc's (1.28 gpf or less) will be mandated in California as of 2014. The late date is the result of a deal struck between the various conserving interests and the domestic toilet manufacturers. The manufacturers got the extra time by promising to push HET technology nationally, with the EPA also planning to support federal policy backing HET.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why dont they mandate dual flush by 2014, austraila already does, and israel has for over a decade. California seems to go pretty far on environmental stuff, suprised their taking it easy here.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Dual flush is one of the HET options. The other two are gravity and power assisted flush.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
How do they weight the big and little flushes to get the average gpf rating?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
They want to save 0.32 gallons per flush while they put billions of gallons of water on the desert in and around Los Angeles to make it green.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
They want to save 0.32 gallons per flush while they put billions of gallons of water on the desert in and around Los Angeles to make it green.
If you add up all the .32gpf savings, you get billions more gallons you can waste in the desert.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Not to mention all of Arizona, Nevada and a good chunk of the rest of the west.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks