Gable vent for DWV vent termination?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
I seem to recall reading somewhere that there are gable vents available to connect to a plumbing vent to allow exterior termination (As opposed to an AAV) without going through the roofline. But I can't find anything online like this. Am I making it up, or does someone make a way to terminate a vent through a gable? I have a main stack that's CI, but the easiest route to vent my new tub and sink would be through the gable, if possible.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you think about what comes out of that vent, you wouldn't want it anywhere but as high as you can get it. Depending on the wind conditions, location of windows, etc., you could end up with it blowing into your bedroom, or infiltrating the attic through other vents. It is specified to be through the roof for a safety, practical, and health reason.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Usually, if you vent through the gable or the side of the house, you are required to run the vent above the roof anyway. (UPC)

Nate R

Reaction score
Gotcha. Well scratch that then.

I guess I wasn't really thinking about what comes out of there. I keep just imagining venting as a pressure balance mechanism, but it's much more than that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks