Cost for gas stove/hook up?

Users who are viewing this thread

MarcoP

Reaction score
My wife and I just received an estimate of 3200 to bring gas into the house from the meter which is located against the house on the same wall as the appliance (about 6 feet away). This estimate included hooking up the gas stove as well as installing the dishwasher. Needless to say we're floored!

Is this an outrageous price or are we completely out of touch?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you should get more estimates. While there may be more to the job than your description indicates and we don't know what labor rates are in your area, that does seem to be out of line. It could be the company that gave you the estimate doesn't really want the job.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Bad timing for me, to ask this one.
After getting a call from a homeowner, with a hard to interpret accent, to give him an estimate to run a gas line from the basement to his appliance 2 floors up, keeping me on the phone with 50 questions & continually insisting I should be able to give him a price over the phone, I'll say this..there is NO possible way to know what kind of work is entailed.
Get other estimates.

Fwiw, the guy called me back and said if the work was going to cost more than $300, it would be too much.

MarcoP

Reaction score
Re gas hook-up/estimate

Thanks to all for your input - we live in New Jersey. He didn't say that there were any complications - although he made it sound to my wife that getting the permits (plural) would be time consuming and costly.

We have another guy coming to give us an estimate in a couple of days - a local guy highly recommended by neighbors. Although, as you said, we won't be sure until he takes a look - he indicated on the phone that the bringing in the gas/stove hook-up would be about 450 while the dishwasher might be around 150 - and that the permit would cost about 50.

Maybe the other guy just didn't want the job.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Fwiw, the guy called me back and said if the work was going to cost more than $300, it would be too much.

That is to funny.

I would always say get 3 prices and take the middle

MarcoP

Reaction score
Thanks - we'll get one more so there'll be a "middle" - although with 3,200 on one end and 600 on the other, obviously I'm hoping the middle is not actually the middle and instead leans heavily towards 600

Smellslike$tome

Plumbing Company Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.themastersplumbingco.com
I never second guess pricing on work I have not seen. I will however tell you that yesterday I tapped into an existing LP gas line, ran approximately 20' of gas line through the crawl space and up into the cabinet under the new range with shut off for $392.00. I then made conversions from NG to LP to the new range and installed new range for $319.00 giving a total of $711.00. The dishwasher would have added $319.00 for a replacement dishwasher and $399.00 for a new installation, this assumes that all necessary dwv and water distribution was already in place and that it was to be located next to the kitchen sink and the dw was provided by ho.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Thanks - we'll get one more so there'll be a "middle" - although with 3,200 on one end and 600 on the other, obviously I'm hoping the middle is not actually the middle and instead leans heavily towards 600

That price is for the two fixtures alone, there's alot more than that under the floor and to the meter.
You may still get a better estimate, but I don't think it'll be that much difference.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

That price is for the two fixtures alone

$495 just to connect the stove? In that case he must be the same one who gave the $3,000 estimate for the entire job.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
That price is for the two fixtures alone

$495 just to connect the stove? In that case he must be the same one who gave the $3,000 estimate for the entire job.

In reading the second post, thats what it looks like:
"Although, as you said, we won't be sure until he takes a look - he indicated on the phone that the bringing in the gas/stove hook-up would be about 450 while the dishwasher might be around 150"
We have no idea whats entailed here.
You've never had a homeowner tell you "this will be simple"?
I think we need to hear what the second price is once the guy actually see's the work.
I'd be pretty unhappy if some guy 1,000 miles away were telling my customer what my price should be if he had no idea that I had to drill through studs, joists...or it turns out the lines amount to 100' inside finished ceilings...too many variables to throw a brother in front of the bus unintentionally.

Fubar411

Reaction score
I never second guess pricing on work I have not seen. I will however tell you that yesterday I tapped into an existing LP gas line, ran approximately 20' of gas line through the crawl space and up into the cabinet under the new range with shut off for $392.00. I then made conversions from NG to LP to the new range and installed new range for $319.00 giving a total of $711.00. The dishwasher would have added $319.00 for a replacement dishwasher and $399.00 for a new installation, this assumes that all necessary dwv and water distribution was already in place and that it was to be located next to the kitchen sink and the dw was provided by ho.

Why so expensive to convert the stove to LP? You're already there, and the kit usually comes with new stoves, just a few fittings to change out.

Seems like the gas line was cheap and the range conversion was pricy.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gas Stove

:D

Yes he could of done the conversion for about .50 cents a burner,

BUT WHO YOU GONNA CALL WHEN YOUR HOUSE BLOWS UP. ! !:confused:

you have no ideal of the danger working with L.P. gas or what happens if you don't know what you are doing, or the other things like liability Ins.
or the training to get there:D

MACPLUMB 777 MASTERPLUMBER

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
About 8 years ago, i wanted to update the stove to gas.... a few years before that i had run a line to a gas dryer. Can't remember that price...not much..

Anyway that pipe ran right under the stove area.

I call a plumber... he comes out..opens up this big thick book after looking in the basement area.. he starts writing down this and that.. shows me an estimate of 1200 dollar to run a few feet of pipe and drill a hole in the floor for it. This stove was a nice one...about 1300 dollars.. but i had to laugh... i paid him his 35 dollars for the estimate.

Called the gas company..they had a contractor or subcontractor come over.. it was about 200 dollars.

Recently did the same thing at this house... this time, however, someone who had done some other work for me did it.. i think it was 75 dollars plus maybe 30 for the materials...

BTW.... I have a handyman/contractor type renting out a property of mine.. his rent is getting later every month... he says work is really drying up in South Florida... seems like you should be able to get a deal to get that done.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes My Point Is We Need Ever Handyman Who Thinks Because He Can Screw Two Peices Of Pipe Togeather He Is Suddenly A Plumber
Will It Work ? ? Could Be !!!!
Why Don't You Take Your Title Deed To Las Vegas And Bet It All On One Game !!!

Macplumb 777

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have done gas work, even some commercial gas work in downtown Seattle, where we cut into a 2.5" gas line in the middle of the night.

At this point, I'm doing fewer things, leaving the gas work to other contractors.
I find that the heating contractors, who have to do constant piping for their furnace installations are a good way to go. Many of them have installers, that do gas piping all day long. It's not a sideline for them.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
BTW.... I have a handyman/contractor type renting out a property of mine.. his rent is getting later every month... he says work is really drying up in South Florida... seems like you should be able to get a deal to get that done.

Perhaps someone who'd work for a meal, with a little to take home for the family.

Smellslike$tome

Plumbing Company Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.themastersplumbingco.com
Why so expensive to convert the stove to LP? You're already there, and the kit usually comes with new stoves, just a few fittings to change out.

Seems like the gas line was cheap and the range conversion was pricy.

Actually the $319 did not include the conversion which was done at no additional charge. The gas work was in addition to about $2000 of other work I did for these people who were very pleasant and agreeable. Pleasant and agreeable people get cut slack and receive extras at every opportunity whereas difficult, unpleasant, people will still receive excellent, courteous, and professional service but will be cut no slack and will receive no extras. Also, I estimate 6 months or less until they call me back to begin replacing their circa 1988 brass finish Delta faucets (they just moved into the house).

MarcoP

Reaction score
Second estimate

Thanks everyone - the other (2nd plumber) guy came (really nice) - and will give us a call with the estimate sometime tomorrow. After reviewing the situation he reported that it should be pretty easy - "nothing complicated" and that the cost would probably be about what he said on the phone (altogether about 650).

Should I call the other plumber and let him know how his estimate compared to the other? He seemed like a pretty nice guy at the time (maybe a little pushy) - I'd certainly want to know if it was me.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Marco, with a price difference of that much, one of two things is likely.
Either the guesses about the first guy being busy and not enthusiastic about getting the job were correct, or the second guy is new at it.
I've had some pretty big differences on my estimates over larger shops with more overhead, but from over $3K to $650 is a red light.
I'd maybe get one more estimate, or if you've decided you'll have the cheaper guy do the work...make absolutely certain he puts a pressure test on his work and keeps it on overnight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks