carbon monoxide and smoke detector placement

Users who are viewing this thread

samlin7

Reaction score
I am rewiring my house and the electrician stated I should mount my hardwire carbon monoxide detector low on the wall and smoke detector at the ceiling.

Anybody know why? and if I should mount it low, is it 12" from the ground like an outlet box?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I am rewiring my house and the electrician stated I should mount my hardwire carbon monoxide detector low on the wall and smoke detector at the ceiling.

Anybody know why? and if I should mount it low, is it 12" from the ground like an outlet box?

Read the information that comes wiht the detector and it will give you the suggested hight for mounting

lahabra

Reaction score
I am doing a remodel / whole house re-wire. Am I required to provide a carbon monoxide detector.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I am doing a remodel / whole house re-wire. Am I required to provide a carbon monoxide detector.
Call your local building official to get the official requirement in your area. Requirements aside, it'd be pretty silly not to do it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score

"required" depends on where you are. Massachusetts, for one, does mandate carbon monoxide alarms in any residence with fuel burning apppliances. They also seem to have a new law requiring that if you use a combo smoke/CO , the smoke must be photoelectric.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks