Water backup in tubs and toliet when washing clothes! Help me please!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

littlebit

Reaction score
Hello...

My husband I and just purchased our first home. We have been using the water, using the toilets, all the sinks and showers with no problem until last night when my husband went to do laundry. I first heard a loud gurgling sound coming from the kitchen sink. That was fine as nothing happened at the kitchen sink. Then my son, who has just finished taking a shower in the master bath informed us that dirty water was backing up in the shower and separate tub and toilets. It didn't back up in the guest bathroom at first but it eventually backed up there too. As the washing machine went through it's clycles, the water would drain and back up again. When the wash was done, the water did drain out.

I have had a hell of a week with this move. I have already had to fork out $300 to have the Uhaul towed out of a ditch after my nephew lost control of it. Fortunately, we had already unloaded our furniture. Unfortunately, he hit another car and I DID not purchase the optional U-haul insurance because my genius husband said we did not need it. We are flat broke and really can't afford a plumber but will most likely get one but we do want to be sure that we are not misled or ripped off and that we have some idea waht is or might be going on.

I also want to add that after the fact, I put 2 and 2 together with the scratches on the inside of the toilets that I did not pay much attention when looking at the house and even after we moved in. Those scratches were obviously made by an auger so toilet blockage must have been a problem in both toliets. Please note that I have not run the dishwasher yet for lack of need but now I am scared too.

I wanted to edit this to say that I also noticed that the toliet water level as always seemed low. And I want to ask another question, is the water most likely backing up in the washer too?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
backup

You have a main sewer stoppage and the easiest, and probably cheapest, way to clear it is to call a plumber. His charge will be based on how long it takes and how difficult it is to unplug it. I have had jobs that took 1 hour, and I have had some that took 2 days. It depends on what, and why, you are having the problem.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I second HJ's advice. This is a job for a pro with pro equipment and knowledge. DIY methods usually don't work, can make the problem worse, can damage the drain system, and can result in injury to you or others. Whatever you do, do not use chemical drain openers. They will not work, and will create a hazzard for a plumber working on the clog later. If you already have used something, tell the plumber what you used so he can be prepared.

littlebit

Reaction score
Thank you for responding!

My mother is convinced that the septic tank needs to be pumped. My husband called the person that we bought the home from and they said they would send someone out to pump the septic tank. Should I call my husband to call them back and tell them to send a plumber out instead? And will this water also bank into the washing machine? You guys say no chemicals but can we use something like rid-ex to keep the lines clear or what would you recommend besides the usual preventative measures.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Could be a pipe blockage before the septic system or it could well be the septic system.

If it is the septic system backed up, it may be due to a failed drain field. It would be worth talking to the seller, and neighbors, to see if there have been problems before. If there were, it may be an undisclosed problem the seller did not tell you about, which would fall back on them.

Also, if you just had an excessive amount of rain, and you are in a low area, it may have raised the water level which is effecting the drain field.

Paul

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As I understand it, Rid-X is an organic product and is safe to use. I can't say if it will be effective or not. You could have a septic tank or drain field problem, that should be check out. I will still bet on a clogged line which will require a professional augering, but the other possibilities should be looked at so you know what you have both for now and for the future.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I re-read you original post and there is a question not answered and a bit more information to relay. A washer put out a very substancial amount of water in a short period of time. That fact when combined with the other usage at about the same time would really put a strain the the drain capacity so even if the clog is total, it would account for the back-up. As far a water backing up into the washer, that's the one good piece of news. Can't do it. A washer uses a standpipe that is open at the top. If the water backed up that high (unlikely) it would spill over the top of the standpipe and not into the washer. I'd also bet a plumber didn't auger through the toilet. The scratches were the result of a DIY attempt. Get it done right, it will cost less in the long run and maybe even in the short run.

littlebit

Reaction score
Thanks all for replying!

The seller is sending someone out today. This forum is great! Thanks again! :)

oldhousetroubles

Reaction score
so what happened

I have a very similar problem - things coming out of my bathtub drain when other drains are being used... so I was hoping to get some follow up on your question:

when the plumber came out, what did he/she say? what was the problem? how did he/she fix? how much did it cost? how long did it take?

Thank you!

littlebit

Reaction score
Followup post to my problem

The seller sent a guy out to pump our septic tank even though I wasn't convinced that was the problem. The septic tank needed plumbing and they pressure cleaned the pipes. The real problem is that the septic tank was installed before the house was built and it is slightly higher than the pipe coming from the house. Since water doesn't flow well uphill, the pipe leading to the septic system will always be prone to clogs. We can remedy this someone by sticking a hose in the cap putside and flushing it out every so often. But we can wash clothes now without the back flow. But we can't take a bath and we have to be careful about flushing when the washing machine is draining.

As for costs (so far) it has cost us nothing other than headaches. The seller paid for the septic tank to be pumped and cleaned. But to fix this problem I have no idea what the cost are but I do know there are seller disclosure laws in this state and this was not disclosed and this kind of problem is not one that anyone can have and not know about it. So if the seller doesn't pay to fix it I will take them to court and I will win.

Good luck with your problem. Hope to get it solved.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would be wise for you to immediately seek legal advice on this. If there is recourse to force the seller to have this problem fixed, the sooner you act the better. This is an example of the value of full disclosure requirements. Good luck.

Audrey F

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for the follow up. Good luck!

I have the same exact situation, 10 years later. Just bought a condo though. It is 3 stories and we are on the raised 1st floor. So my question is, is it possible that our septic is too high, like the original poster? And, what do I do first? Call a plumber? Call the seller? Call the condo association? Call a lawyer? Thanks for any advice.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It's hard to say. Are you sure you have a septic system? If so, does your unit have its own tank or is it shared? Depending upon where you are, it is more likely that a multifamily condo would be on a sewer rather than a septic system, but it is possible. It's possible there is a clog in the main drain within your unit, and possible that there is a main line clog outside of your unit and for the building as a whole. One test for that would be are you getting backups ONLY when you guys do something? Or do you get backups into your unit when others in the building bathe, do laundry, or flush (assuming that those upper units are occupied)? If the latter, more likely a main line. If the former, more likely to be within your unit.

Were it I, I would start by calling the condo association and finding out the lay of the land. Are you on a septic or a sewer? Have they had any other complaints from first-floor residents (assuming there are any)? Any other issues with the main line from the building? That should give you an idea of whether they should be hiring a pro or you should be calling a pro. In all cases, stay away from places with Rooter in their name. If you want to tell us on here or by message to me where you are, one of our members has good recommendations for drain cleaning around the country. He gave me an amazing recommendation for Long Island, New York. The guy he recommended was beyond supremely-competent, and opened a driveway drain that others had said needed to be dug up and repiped. And the guy was very reasonable, particularly for his skill set and equipment.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe call your insurance agent to make sure you have backup coverage if you can get it. That would be for if you are sharing some plumbing and the people upstairs have a party.

Maybe talk to the neighbors too. But I agree, from your list, the condo association would be where to start. Take notes, because you will want to pass information to your lawyer or plumber. Ideally it will be the association's plumber who gets everything nice.

I would buy one or more water alarms. I like Basement Watchdog Water Alarm. You have to keep the 9-volt battery good. The alarm tells you to stop using water yourself, maybe alert the upstairs neighbors and ask that they stop temporarily. Maybe get a wet-dry vacuum cleaner in advance to catch stuff before it gets outside of the shower.

Take any photos that will illustrate your words later.

dear_prudy

Reaction score
Could be a pipe blockage before the septic system or it could well be the septic system.

If it is the septic system backed up, it may be due to a failed drain field. It would be worth talking to the seller, and neighbors, to see if there have been problems before. If there were, it may be an undisclosed problem the seller did not tell you about, which would fall back on them.

Also, if you just had an excessive amount of rain, and you are in a low area, it may have raised the water level which is effecting the drain field.

Paul
I'm having the same issue. we have had excessive amounts of rain and there is standing water in our yard. if it is due to the rain what do I need to do about my problem thank you

Cindy Lu

Reaction score
I have similar problem.

After it rains, we cannot take more than one shower without it backing back into the shower. If it has not been raining, we can do a load of medium laundry and take 2 showers before it starts to back up. One of the main things we noticed that caused the most problems is when laundry is done. For some reason, it is during the spin cycle that it does it. If I catch it, I can shut off the washer and the water will recede.

When the water backup, it is to both bathrooms. We will hear a gurgle… it comes up first in the master bathroom, then the one in the hallway (the front). The front bathroom also fills with sewage smell, but not the master bathroom in the back. The water in the toilets will also go down right before teh water comes into the tubs. They also won’t flush. It happens most when we are running the washer and the spin cycle comes on.

We have a septic tank. It was emptied last April, then we noticed sewage leakage in the backyard. It turned out the tree roots had damaged some field line so we had it replaced in June last year. Now a little over a year, the water backing up to the bathtub. Was it a failing septic system? A blockage somewhere? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm glad everyone is continuing to post to a forum thread from 2005. With any luck, this might finally break the internet.

Reach4

Reaction score
After it rains, we cannot take more than one shower without it backing back into the shower. If it has not been raining, we can do a load of medium laundry and take 2 showers before it starts to back up.
You may have the gutters discharging into the septic somehow. Where does your gutter water go? Actually, you don't say that the shower backs up without you draining anything. I guess you are just saying that the draining slows down when it rains.

Your leach field may just be saturated or very slow. Only being able to do a medium laundry and 2 showers before backing up in the best of times would seem to go along with a badly degraded leach field.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks