Purging natural gas lines of air.

Users who are viewing this thread

ario

Reaction score
I had the gas turned off for a month and removed the line to the gas dryer (we're going to electric) and plugged the pipe. Also installed new hot water heater. I can't light the pilot off course because there is air in the lines. How do I safely purge this air? Thanks.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Continue to Hold

The safest way is to continue to hold the pilot buttom down and bled the air through the little pilot tube. Three full minutes should purge your line. You could also apply a continuous flame to the thermocouple allowing you to bled the air through the gas valve but this results in burnt eyebrows and mustaches sometimes. You could also disconnect a pipe at the union or flex connector but your must recheck that there are not piping leaks when you reconnect.
I would just be patient and hold down the button.

rbarrett

Reaction score
I have a natural gas line that was run from my house to my shop around two years ago. I have recently installed a heater in my shop therefore connected my gas line to my heater. When I turned the valve on at my house I heard the gas flow into the line. I tried to light the pilot but was unable; I then disconnected the gas line to the heater and never smelled gas! I could put my thumb over the end of the line and hold it for a few seconds and then remove it and could feel pressure but smell nothing! I also let the gas run 10 minutes or so and never could smell gas?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance,
Confused

Construct30

Reaction score
You can only run gas pipe so far and have it work properly, but it should still run enough for it to "smell". How far is the total from the curb to house to garage?

Was the pipe capped very well the entire time? Maybe it is plugged with rodent, dirt, debris or water. It might take high pressure air to clear the pipe.

Did you do any digging in the area since it was used? It could be broken. If the pipe is iron it could have rusted through.

NOTE IMPORTANT: A pipe, even plastic abandoned that long should be tested by a licensed service person before it is used, not a DIY project.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

You can run a gas line as far as you wish to and it will still flow gas. If the line is too small for the length, the burner will not operate properly, if at all, but there will still be some gas coming from the pipe. If the line has an obstruction, you have to find out how it got there before you do anything, especially using high pressure air.

Construct30

Reaction score
You can run a gas line as far as you wish to and it will still flow gas. If the line is too small for the length, the burner will not operate properly, if at all, but there will still be some gas coming from the pipe. If the line has an obstruction, you have to find out how it got there before you do anything, especially using high pressure air.

I don't think a see snake will fit in most gas pipes so how are you going to find what's down there? I've seen gas line service men use air to clean pipes.

I should add be very careful and don't have someone looking down the pipe when you do it. Did you ever shoot a high powered air gun?

Also I said work properly.

rbarrett

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys! I figured it out:) when i would turn the gas valve on in the shop it would make a pop sound which was triggering a check valve in the flex line I had purchased from lowes! I turned the valve on real slow and it started to flow at a higher rate in which I then smelled gas! So everthing is working! Thanks again guys....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks