What Leads For A Digital Multimeter?

Users who are viewing this thread

abrogard

Reaction score
I just got a digital multimeter, the first one I've ever owned or touched, for only $10, new!

Great stuff. But it came without leads. And when I look at it I see not two holes marked + and - as with my old analog meter, but three, with strange markings.

So I don't know what to put in where.

Could someone please help me? I've attached a pic.

regards,

ab :)

Attachments

• Img_4211 [640x480].jpg
    Img_4211 [640x480].jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 542

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Common and the hole right above common, the bottom two holes, third hole upper most is for measuring amperage utilizing the meter in series with the load and source.

I thought when you said you paid $10.00 for it that it came without holes.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Make sure not to connect the meter ACROSS a voltage source with the COM and 10AMP leads, as that is pretty much a dead short.

The blue socket on the left is to connect the three leads of a transistor ( 2 types, NPN and PNP)

abrogard

Reaction score
Okay, got it. I use the bottom two holes. The bottom one is negative and the middle one is positive, to use my old analog meter terminology.

The 'COM' marking threw me. I didn't think of 'common' as an answer. And I still don't really understand it, but okay, earth, neg, like that.

DON'T use the 10ADC and COM across a voltage source. Those two are to be used in series when measuring amperage with a hefty 10Amp maximum. Well, sounds hefty to me. I've never ever before measured current but I guess I'll be bound to have a go now I've got an instrument.

Thanks for the help, guys.

I actually googled it and found it well represented. Available in the States at a recommended retail of $us15 !

Sold by another outfit with 1 year's warrantee!

Pity it doesn't come with a manual.

I'll go get some leads for it and play with it...

regards,

abrogard

Reaction score
Actually it turns out I've been too hasty once again... under the cardboard backplate of the blister pack was a kinda long bubble going across the bottom, something like you get on blister packs of screws, so's the vendors can stand 'em up on display I guess.

But this wasn't for standing up for display, it had a little instruction booklet and a pair of leads in it!

All for $10. Ah, it's a lovely time for penurious home handymen (if it weren't for the cost of timber and steel, that is, but you can't have everything).

But thanks for the link to those other instructions, they're more comprehensive than the stuff I got, I've downloaded them and I'd read up on 'em.

regards,

Speedbump

Reaction score
Personally, any multimeter without a snap around ammeter is almost worthless to me.

Snap around's are a lot safer too, they don't flash and hurt your eyes when you wrap them around a load larger than they can handle.

bob...

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Snap around's are a lot safer too, they don't flash and hurt your eyes when you wrap them around a load larger than they can handle.

?????? Could you expand on this.

I own a variety of clamp-on amp meters and have NEVER seen a flash.

As for a clamp-on amp meter having additional functions, that is user specific. I never use a clamp-on for anything but measuring current.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Make sure not to connect the meter ACROSS a voltage source with the COM and 10AMP leads, as that is pretty much a dead short.
This is the reason. If you were to use the amp and common leads to try and measure voltage on a 115 volt outlet, you would probably see the flash. Snap on current meters don't physically touch the voltage like the leads do.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it is confusing to suggest that a snap-on (sometimes called clamp-on) ammeter is required. The only function that a snap-on ammeter has that a standard multimeter does not have is the ability to measure Alternating Current (A/C). That is essential in some cases but is probably less than 1% of the applications for a typical homeowner.

It is rare that a homeowner would want to measure A/C current and I think using a multimeter for that purpose on 120 Volt circuits is probably hazardous. The only time I try to measure current with mine is small DC circuits.

I have both and prefer the multimeter for most things because it has more ranges and a better display.

Also a consideration for the typical homeowner is that you can get a multimeter for $10 and a decent snap-on ammeter costs $70 t0 $100 or more.

Every homeowner should own a multimeter and learn how to use it. It is good for checking lightbulbs, Christmas tree light strings, batterys, cords, and numerous other things.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I just got a digital multimeter, the first one I've ever owned or touched, for only $10, new!

Great stuff. But it came without leads. And when I look at it I see not two holes marked + and - as with my old analog meter, but three, with strange markings.

So I don't know what to put in where.

Could someone please help me? I've attached a pic.

regards,

"banana plugs" are what will fit in the test meter connections. Pretty much standard issue for test leads.

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts on a DIYer and his inexpensive test equipment. The least expensive voltage tester most electricians utilize cost in the range of 35-60 dollars, and while this unit may be safe to use take care.

Be careful using this tester, always test this and any voltage tester for that matter on a known live circuit prior to use.

abrogard

Reaction score
Yep, guys thanks for the input. I well understand the warning about checking the meter before use and the reminder is very good to have - my old radio shack analog meter had such puny wiring inside the leads that they just broke during the course of normal use and led me to detect no voltage on a circuit that was actually live.

My fault for not doing a resistance test first I guess. No matter who's fault - a very dangerous circumstance.

And thanks for the warnings about the 'flash that hurts the eyes', I got a laugh out of that but its equally serious I guess. My instructions read to let 15minutes go between current reading and not to leave it in circuit for longer than 10 seconds.

I guess I could get an eye hurting flash if I ignored those instructions on sufficiently beefy circuit.

I think I won't be using the ammeter part at all - I can't see where it would be useful when I'm constrained to one measurement every 15 minutes.

But I'm very satisfied with what I've got especially considering the price. A better replacement for the analog meter plus the transister checker is nice (even if I'm only playing) and it operates as a signal generator, too, it says, that'll be good, something else to explore.

I test wall plugs, light sockets, computer wiring, car wiring, that's it.

And I nearly got zapped that time with the broken lead on the analog, so I'm a bit wary. Not wary enough, though, that was a timely reminder. Thanks.

regards,

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
A few thoughts on a DIYer and his inexpensive test equipment. The least expensive voltage tester most electricians utilize cost in the range of 35-60 dollars, and while this unit may be safe to use take care.

Be careful using this tester, always test this and any voltage tester for that matter on a known live circuit prior to use.

Otherwise, this might happen.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you see a flash like that from using a multimeter on a voltage system with in the meters rating you have a good case for a lawsuit...

sbrn33

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.scottelectric.net
If you see a flash like that from using a multimeter on a voltage system with in the meters rating you have a good case for a lawsuit...

I was thinking the same thing. Who hasn't had the leads in the wrong holes or the meter set on the wrong setting?
My lead set cost almost $30 bucks(without the meter). I can say I might be just a little scared checking 480 with that meter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks