Telephone junction box ground wire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I just replaced the telephone junction box inside my house (not the one outside).

The old original junction box from the 1950s had no lid but had a mysterious ground wire that runs to my water pipe.

There is no place in the new junction box to put the ground wire.

Do junction boxes inside the home for phones need a ground wire any longer?

Obviously the box outside has a ground.

I wonder if this has a ground because main boxes used to be inside the house? Does anyone know?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks hj and Lee. I take it I can disconnect it then from the water pipe? The 'old' phone wires (snipped on the old "junction box" looked rather heavy gauge. I wonder how much current/voltage used to run through the old phone system.

I found what looked like small fuses in the terminals of the old box as well.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Those small fuse things are gas discharge lightening protection. I believe they needed that ground wire.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I take it I can disconnect it then from the water pipe?

With the newer ground in place, that sounds right to me.

The 'old' phone wires (snipped on the old "junction box" looked rather heavy gauge. I wonder how much current/voltage used to run through the old phone system.

My wild guess would be that the older wires were heavier because of their different composition and/or over-engineering rather than more current or whatever. But, maybe older ringers with those big bells and clappers needed higher amperage!

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
You might want to ask the phone company or look in the outside box. You said you just replaced the inside one. What you may have there is the wire tiepoint outside and then going to the inside box. That box inside would then be the point (demarcation is I believe the term) where wire and equipment changes ownership. The wire leaving that box is yours; the box and wire entering the box belongs to the phone company.

Unless they have moved the demark point to the outside, you should not fool with the inside box. Have the phone company fix it if it bothers you.

snafflekid

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
Can you describe the outside box more clearly. If it has a test jack on it, then it is a modern demarcation point. It sounds like the company added this and left the old junction rather than remove it. My guess is that you are ok to remove it, but that depends if the outside box is in fact a demarcation point.

The ground wire is used by a lightning arrestor in the junction

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. The outside box does have a jack on it and is grey and plastic. It also has a ground wire.

The inside box was not really a "box" but a station protector. It looks similar to the one on the far left and has no lid. The incoming phone wires from the grey box outside are joined at the bolts on the station protector.

A (seperate to the one outside) ground is linked to the center terminal and runs to my water pipe.

image28930.gif

Is it needed?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks