Laundry Room Wiring - Did I goof

Users who are viewing this thread

Devans175

Reaction score
I'm building a new laundry room and I want to make sure I didn't mess up the wiring. There was an existing 12/2 cable coming off of a 20 amp breaker. There was nothing but a flourecent light connected to it. I spliced into it with several runs of 14/2 cable. There will be 3 flourescent lights, a very small bathroom fan and 2 receptacles. The only thing that will be plugged into the recepts is a steam iron. The lights are on one branch and the recepts ware on a separate branch. Did I screw up?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You must remove all the 14/2 wireing and change it to 12/2.

Why did you use 14/2?

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
The only thing that will be plugged into the recepts is a steam iron.
Yeah. And a steam iron is one of the heaviest draw items in your home.

Remove the 14 and install the proper size wire. ALL receptacles in a laundry room must be #12 wire and 20A circuits.

You say a bath fan? Does this mean you are also feeding a bathroom? If so the bath receptacles CANNOT share a circuit with the laundry room.

There are plenty of codes regarding these rooms. I'd study up on them before going ANY further.

Devans175

Reaction score
I just wasn't paying attention. I'm used to seeing 12/2 cable as yellow. The existing cable was kind of an off white. I just happened to look at the markings and saw it was 12/2. I was also surprised when I saw how much current an iron draws, that's when I got concerned and decided I should ask.

Lesson Learned. I'm going to split the lights off onto a 14/2 circuit and re-wire the recepts. Thanks!!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The scary thing about this is all the DIYrs that will do this and not ask any one and then there will be a fire and possibly loss of life.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Which is why, as a DIYer, I am only going to run 12 gauge wire now, even on 15 amp circuits. It will make any upgrade (by me or someone else down the line), to 20 amps easier and potentially safer (if they overlook the wiring).

Obviously wiring for 30 amp (10 gauge), 40 amp (8 gauge) and 50 amp (6 gauge) circuits is a different beast, I am just talking small appliance circuits here.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Which is why, as a DIYer, I am only going to run 12 gauge wire now, even on 15 amp circuits.

It's also cheaper to buy 12-2 250' at a time than it is to buy the odd small chunk of 14-2 as well, I think.

I'm helping a neighbor rewire a garage apartment, and he goes by the cable color also. He's going to be in real trouble if the colors change in the future. I taught him about the markings but it's easier for him to just think "white for lighting" and "yellow for receptacles". We opted for the 14-2 because he has a LOT of lighting and smoke detector circuit cable requirement, justifying the 250' roll of 14-2 also.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Remove the 14 and install the proper size wire. ALL receptacles in a laundry room must be #12 wire and 20A circuits.

Speedy, I don't see in the code where ALL receptacles in a laundry need to be 20amp, Your required at least ONE 20amp laundry circuit, which is allowed to supply other receptacles in the laundry area, but I dont see where ALL of the receptacles MUST be on the 20amp circuit...

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
See 210.11(C)(2). It is the exact same wording as for the required (minimum) two small appliance circuits in a kitchen.
You gonna install 15 amp receptacle circuits in a kitchen too? :p

210.11 Branch Circuits Required

(C) Dwelling Units

(1) Small-Appliance Branch Circuits
In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits shall be provided for all receptacle outlets specified by 210.52(B).

(2) Laundry Branch Circuits In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
See 210.11(C)(2). It is the exact same wording as for the required (minimum) two small appliance circuits in a kitchen.
You gonna install 15 amp receptacle circuits in a kitchen too? :p

No, because of 210.52(B)(1) and (3).

But there is no requirement, as Chris75 says, that all the laundry receptacles be on the 20a laundry circuit. You can put the 210.11(C)(2)-required 20a laundry circuit behind the laundry pair, and then have as many other receptacles on 15a circuit(s) as your heart desires.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
All I can say is I disagree. I have really never heard of this being interpreted any other way.
This is of course for a room/area specifically designated as the "laundry".

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
(
3) Bathroom Branch Circuits In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.

That's what I thought but I read this in another post.

Unless a local amendment prohibits it you most certainly CAN have the receptacle and lighting on the same circuit in a bath. That is provided that circuit does not leave the bathroom.

Again, I am confused.

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
For reasons I do not need to go into here except to say on commercial jobs I tell electricians ignore colors and use a rotation meter, I would tell the DIYer.

IGNORE colors with the exception of green, white (In most cases) jacket color has no meaning use and may vary from manufacture to manufacture. LOOK at the conductor size and as DIYers I would rely on the actual AWG number on the conductor jacket, not on your ability to assume the size by visual inspection.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
While rummaging around in 210.23, I see they define "Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened in Place" and "Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place". How would you treat Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Fastened in Place, such as a wall-mounted hair dryer? It would seem that the fastening-in-place is what matters, but that would mean my 1500W wall-mounted hair dryers couldn't be plugged into 20A receptacles on circuits where an electric toothbrush, say, was also plugged in. 210.23(A)(2).

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
While rummaging around in 210.23, I see they define "Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened in Place" and "Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place". How would you treat Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Fastened in Place, such as a wall-mounted hair dryer? It would seem that the fastening-in-place is what matters, but that would mean my 1500W wall-mounted hair dryers couldn't be plugged into 20A receptacles on circuits where an electric toothbrush, say, was also plugged in. 210.23(A)(2).

How does this thread go from required laundry receptacle, to equipment fastened in place?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks