Toilet flushing by itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

jskd82

Reaction score
What would cause my toilet to flush by itself? I am not sure if it is a full flush but I have heard it refilling the tank a couple times already. I don't live in the home and I am hardly there so I am not sure how often it does this.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your flapper is leaking. Replace the flapper and it will stop refilling.

gtc

Reaction score
Your flapper is leaking. Replace the flapper and it will stop refilling.

Ditto.

Shut off the water supply one night and the tank will probably be empty in the morning.

I just had the same problem over the weekend and changed the flapper. The replacement was about $5 at Lowes. Bring your current one with you so you get right one to replace it. There were several to choose from.

Prashster

Reaction score
You shld be seeing ripples in the bowl if there's a leak from the tank into the bowl.

I'd press the flapper down to see if it seats tightly and stops the trickle. If yes, then replace flapper. If no, cld be the flush valve needs replacing.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless you need a special kind of flapper, just buy a red Korky. It's the best of the bunch.

Grazzy

Reaction score
Unless you need a special kind of flapper, just buy a red Korky. It's the best of the bunch.

how long do the red ones last compared relatively to the black rubber ones? i had one in an american standard that was about 3 years old and it leaked like a sieve. as soon as i replaced it with the black one, all leaking stopped. the texture of the red one still feels brand new, but it doesn't do the job. :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The red Korky last longer.
And they cost more.
I never use the black ones on repairs.

But then I also have a box of them, so if one doesn't work, I throw it away.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
how long do the red ones last compared relatively to the black rubber ones?

The red ones last longer and they are not so messy to replace.

The black flappers tend to disintegrate, and you don't want to touch one with your bare hands when you go to replace it. They stain everything they come into contact with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks