Everything BUT the Kitchen sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
Please help... I'm a novice. Here's the story: Had company over that didn't know we don't have a garbage disposal. It stopped up. I used draino, to very low effects. I went under to investigate and disconnected the white pvc parts that I thought I could fasten back. Ha! Stupid me. So I put it back together, turn on the faucet and the u-shaped drain configuration leaks, just as predicted. What now? Please see photos

Attachments

• IMGP2352 rev4.jpg
    IMGP2352 rev4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 4,303

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would replace that Trap and I use that term loosely.

You need to cut the pipe that is going into the wall. I would go about 6" or so from the wall and get a real trap and make it right.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
What kind of person would just assume that there is a garbage disposal there and dump a bunch of crap into someone's sink...yuk

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

That conglomeration would stop up even if noone dumped anything down it. But anything they put down the drain would have been stopped by the sink strainer so that is not the problem. You just have a bad drain installation.

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
so what now?

what should I do? can you elaborate or post a diagram? I am very in-experienced. But I am willing to dig in and try. I already have everything out on the kitchen floor!

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are willing to give it a go. Then I would cut the pipe that goes into the wall a few inches from the wall. Then place a 1.5"X1.5" mission coupling. Some plastic pipe a glue trap union style, and a 1.5" trap adapter. They should sell all of these things at any hardware store or big box home center.

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
thanks

hey, is there a standard name for this type of set-up? I mean when I go to the hardware store, what should I ask for? A sink drain trap set-up? I am going today when I leave work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Show the picture you have here to the guy in the plumbing store. That may help as well.

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
pics of finished product

Hey ya'll, you guys rock. You offer a free service to strangers that you don't even know. Kudos to you. I appreciate it. I fixed the problem using the info you provided. Just out of curiousity, does anyone out there have an idea of how much money I saved? I mean, what would it have cost to have a plumber come out and do the work that you helped me with?

Have a good weekend!

Before and after pictures:
t_=83792952

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/...ID=4108785309/a=83792952_83792952/t_=83792952

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I like the undersink sprayer in the pic - it makes a nice bottle hanger. I think maybe calling a plumber to fix multiple problems might be a good idea.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like the undersink sprayer in the pic - it makes a nice bottle hanger. I think maybe calling a plumber to fix multiple problems might be a good idea.

That bottle and sprayer are the BEFORE picture. Haven't seen the AFTER yet.

These are the kind of projects that cost so much more to hire than to do it yourself because there is so little work compared to mobilizing the truck and travel, and the business overhead.

They are a good place for the homeowner to start his homeowner education, which will save him $thousands during his home-ownership career. He can also tell his wife how he saved $200 on the project, which will justify his purchase of tools that he will need for the next job.

It will also pay great dividends in wifely appreciation when he fixes things and does jobs that one would never call someone in to do. And he can use this as an opportunity to teach his children (male and female) how to do things so they will be able to fix the trap or unplug the toilet when they have their homes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks