Milwaukee Thermoflo Furnace Filter? HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

ur1ofus

Reaction score
So I recently moved into a house (I'm renting) and it's getting chilly so time to turn on the furnace but I wanted to replace the furnace filter first.

Went to the basement to look at the beast and jeez I feel dumb 'cause I can't find the filter anywhere!!

It's an OLD Milwaukee Thermoflo Furnace. Model 1203-C11. Serial# 68931.

I just need to know the size of the filter and where it goes! I've looked online for a manual too and come up with nothing. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

CHH

Reaction score
Find the air handler and the filter (if any) will be nearby. I once lived in a house that had the air handler in a room adjacent to the room the old coal furnace (which had been converted to natural gas) was in.

ur1ofus

Reaction score
I've found the air handler I think.. this is the big blower looking thing, right? I've scanned the housing around it and can't find a filter anywhere. Where would a filter go in relation to the handler?

Thanks for you help!!

CHH

Reaction score
"big blower looking thing" yup, that's the air handler. :)

The filter will probably be on the intake side of the system usually just in front of the blower.

The one I mentioned had the filters supported above the fan on some angle iron bracing. They were hard to find because an access panel had to be opened and then you had to know to look up.

ur1ofus

Reaction score
Thanks again. I think I'm getting somewhere.
Here are some pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

ur1ofus

Reaction score
4.jpg

5.jpg

I looked up! Found the angle brace you mentioned but there doesn't appear to be much room to angle anything around that pipe. Should the filter cover this whole area? Guess now I've found generally where a filter should go but not really sure how it fits at all. or the size...

CHH

Reaction score
Ok, it appears someone took the filters out. Two filters should be used to form a "vee" under the vent pipe. Measure the space outlined by the dust from where the filters used to be...real wonderful isn't it?

Good job on the pictures.

ur1ofus

Reaction score
Awesome. Looks like a 16x20x1 will do the trick.

Should both of these filters be placed with the same direction of airflow (air moving up from the blower?)

Thanks so much for all your help.

CHH

Reaction score
The vertex of the "vee" formed by the filters is pointing in the direction of flow. In other words flow will be down to the blower.

You're welcome for the help. Nice to see someone taking care of equipment and staying with the problem to find a solution.

You probably want to clean the dust up as best you can before installing the filters. No need to blow any more of it than you have to through the furnace and into your home.

One other thing to check is eyeball the blower shaft bearings to see if they need lubed. They may have little oil reservoirs that need filled periodically. Of course make double sure the power is off before poking around the blower.

Last edited:

ur1ofus

Reaction score
The vertex of the "vee" formed by the filters is pointing in the direction of flow. In other words flow will be down to the blower.

whoops! Guess I'll go switch that around now :rolleyes:

One other thing to check is eyeball the blower shaft bearings to see if they need lubed. They may have little oil reservoirs that need filled periodically. Of course make double sure the power is off before poking around the blower.

Any way you could walk me through this or point me towards someplace on the web with a diagram. I really have no clue what I'm looking at/for. Additionally, though can power it off before doing anything, what sort of lube should I use for something like this. I'd pretty much guarantee it needs done.

Thanks!

CHH

Reaction score
Arrrgh. This is one of those things that's simple if you've seen it but sort of a pain to explain 'cause it's something we never have to discuss or talk about once we've seen it the first time. Here goes:

The blower shaft is supported on each end by a bearing. The bearing is probably in line with the outer edge of the blower housing.

The bearings may be self-lubing, grease lubricated, or oil lubricated. You basically look for either a grease zerk or a small oil reservoir. The lubrication fitting will either be on top of the bearing housing for oil or perhaps slightly offset to the side if it's a grease zerk.

Any grease will do for the grease zerk type lube system. If there is a small oil housing then I'd use a constant viscosity motor oil. Even a light machine oil will work but they typically cost more. I wouldn't use any type of spray lube unless I was really desparate (bearing squealing).

If you have doubts just take pictures of the blower shaft mounts and I'll probably be able to tell you what you've got.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks