Is this flange still useable?

Users who are viewing this thread

pcave

Reaction score
Pardon my inexperience here....I'm not even sure my terminology is correct. Corrections are welcome.

I am replacing a rear-outlet toilet and am wondering if this cast iron (?) flange is still useable? (see picture below) It looks a little damaged, but it seems much easier to just reuse it with a new wax ring than replace it.

If I do have to replace it, am I correct in assuming I have to somehow remove the old flange and replace with a PVC-to-cast pipe twist and set flange? I've seen a few forums on this. Some say to just take a hammer and crack the flange and pull it out, others say drill holes in the lead around the flange until it comes out. What's the best way to remove it?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_4060.JPG
    IMG_4060.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 410

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've not dealt with rear-discharge. But, from what I've read, it uses a felt/wax seal. It sort of looks like there's one on there that would need to be scraped off. While I'm not sure, it looks like that flange is in decent shape. Scrape it off and see.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yep, I'd say you'll get one more toilet out of that. In 10-20 years time you might need to change it. It looks about the same state as my floor flange which just about holds the bolts. That is what really matters.

It is interesting to see bolts on it. In the UK all toilets are rear discharge but they are still bolted to the floor.

Last edited:

pcave

Reaction score
In checking to see if everything lines up well before putting the wax ring on, I came across a number of concerns somebody could perhaps help me with:

1) the two bolts shown in the picture above are barely wide enough to fit through the slots on the toilet. As a result, one of the bolts protrudes through the slot at an angle. Is this normal? Do I need a wider flange or something? Will this crack the toilet when I'm tightening them? I measured the distance between slots on the toilet and it's around 5.75". And a touch smaller on the flange.

2) the last toilet used the two bolts on the wall (as shown in the above picture) and two hanger bolts on the floor as well. I replaced and repositioned the hanger bolts on the floor, but I'm expecting their presence to make it very difficult to properly seat the toilet against the back wall. Is there a secret to doing this? Are the two sets of bolts necessary? Can I somehow install the floor bolts after the toilet is seated?

I asked these questions at Home Depot but nobody seems to know anything about wall-outlet toilets.

Thanks again! I love this site.

pcave

Reaction score
Yep, I'd say you'll get one more toilet out of that. In 10-20 years time you might need to change it. It looks about the same state as my floor flange which just about holds the bolts. That is what really matters.

It is interesting to see bolts on it. In the UK all toilets are rear discharge but they are still bolted to the floor.

So when you say they're bolted to the floor, does that means there's no bolts used on the flange? Can you tighten the floor bolts enough to prevent the toilet from creeping away from the flange over time?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've no idea, but do understand that the seal on a rear discharge is NOT the same as what is used on a floor flanged toilet. Make sure you get the right thing, or you will have problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks