New Booster Pump and Tank. Booster won't start??

Users who are viewing this thread

TXTom

Reaction score
I just installed a storage tank and booster pump at my house. The booster pump won't run. I need some wiring help. I am using a standard pressure switch to control the booster. There is no pressure on the system so the contacts on the switch are closed. I have a 20amp double pole breaker that I am using to power the pump. The pressure switch is connected to the breaker with a red and black wire and ground. The pump is wired to the pressure switch with a red and black wire and ground. The terminals on the switch are wired so that the contacts complete the red/red and black/black connections. The booster pump is a Goulds GB. It is wired for high voltage from the factory. I connected the red and black wires to terminals 1 and 4 as shown on the motor's diagram. The ground is connected to the green terminal. Why won't my pump start?

Thanks,

R

Rancher

Do you own a multi meter? Measure the voltage at the places you've mentioned.

High voltage, you mean 240 vac?

Rancher

TXTom

Reaction score
I checked the voltage from ground to the terminals and I get 125V on each terminal. I have a feeling one of the Legs is not working, but I thought that maybe each would add together to make 250V. Am I wrong?

Tom

Speedbump

Reaction score
Only if they are on different phases. If you selected two breakers and took 115 from each one, you could be using the same source for both. But I think you said you have a double pole breaker.

Does the pump humm or buzz or is it just quiet when power is applied?

bob...

TXTom

Reaction score
Wiring was all good. It was a bad breaker. One of the legs was dead. Thanks for the tips.

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks