Egress Window Question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I'm adding a bathroom to the 2nd floor of my house and I'm planning to steal a 3' x 2' area from the corner of a bedroom. I called the permit office to see what types of plans they need to see. They said since I was going to be modifying part of the bedroom I might have to install an egress window. This seems ridiculous since all I'm doing is basically boxing in the corner to allow more room for the bathroom.

Currently I have two double hung windows right next to each other. I like the look of the double hung windows, but they wouldn't be big enough to pass for egress. The opening is currently 24 inches tall by 26 inches wide which meets the width and height requirements, but not the total opening requirements. Code says the opening has to be 5.7 square feet.

Are there any options I'm not thinking of? I don't want to put in a sliding window or a crank out window because it wouldn't fit with the rest of the house. I really don't want to reframe the window opening to allow for bigger double hung windows.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Get a definitive yes or no, not a maybe, then think about it. Somebody know the national code on this? Basically it is always a good idea to have two ways out of a bedroom, and since you are changing it, that may be part of the price of admittance. They don't enforce things retroactively (you're grandfathered normally), but make a change, and the whole thing must meet current codes.

theelviscerator

Reaction score
On a double hung window only the bottom half counts toward egress.

thats why a slider or casement is always your best choice for smallest window to meet code.

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where emergency escape and rescue openings are provided they shall have a sill height of not more than 44 inches above the floor

All emergency escape and rescue openings shall have a minimum clear opening of 5.7 square feet

The minimum net clear opening height shall be 24 inches

The minimum net clear opening width shall be 20 inches

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks