Switch Placement Advice for Bath Refurb

Users who are viewing this thread

Cakins

Reaction score
Doing my first home remodel, working on the bath room right now. I've changed the floorplan from rectangle to L-shaped and would like some input on the switch placement for the various lights and fan that will be part of the updated room.

You can see a (not-to-scale) quick sketch of the room here:

http://www.extraordinaryimage.com/images/bathSwitches.jpg

My thoughts were to put a 2-gang box just inside the door with a single switch for the overhead light/wall lavatory lights and the receptacle. Then, near the "L" wall direction change, I could put the 2 switches for the tub/shower light and fan timer switch.

To me, that makes a bit more sense than putting them all ganged together in one box.

But, as this is my first project, I'd like to hear input on the pros/cons of this idea.

Also - I had toyed with separating the wall lights from the overhead light, using separate switches. But I'm not sure that makes sense on such a small bathroom. The overall size is about 50 sq. ft. or less.

I was also toying with putting some under the cabinet type lighting in the mix with some shelving I'll be buidling in over the toilet. If I do that, does it make sense to have a separate switch for that? Near the shelves or over by the door.

The vanity area is only going to be 36" wide max. Is one receptacle sufficient, or should I put one on each side?

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only suggestions I can make is to be sure the can light over the tub is listed for wet locations. There is a 'shower trim' available. The fan must be kept 3' horizontally from the edge of the tub unless it is also rated for wet locations, which it probably isn't.

Just a suggestion.... why not combine the can light with the fan and install a fan/light combo?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The only suggestions I can make is to be sure the can light over the tub is listed for wet locations. There is a 'shower trim' available. The fan must be kept 3' horizontally from the edge of the tub unless it is also rated for wet locations, which it probably isn't.
Why? .

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
410.4(D). "...Luminaires (lighting fixtures) located in this zone [3 feet horizontally from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold] shall be listed for damp locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to shower spray."

Cakins

Reaction score
First, thanks for the tips - I definitely want to find out the right way to do each of the things mentioned. I reply below. But my primary question in the original post - which I also want to find out - is regarding the placement of the switch locations themselves. Does anyone have feedback regarding that issue?

The only suggestions I can make is to be sure the can light over the tub is listed for wet locations. The fan must be kept 3' horizontally from the edge of the tub unless it is also rated for wet locations, which it probably isn't.

Just a suggestion.... why not combine the can light with the fan and install a fan/light combo?

I do have a shower trim kit for the shower light, which is listed for wet locations. Initially, I toyed with a light/fan combo, but didn't really find one I liked aesthetically. Also, I wanted a better fan than most builders put in homes. I went with a Panasonic that's very quiet. I hadn't heard the 3' rule for fans though. In fact, I've read the opposite in at least one book. It says to put the fan as close to the shower area without actually being in the shower.

Does the luminary rule really apply to fans if there isn't a light involved? Which electrical code is that based on? My city uses the International Residential Code.

Wow, I actually don't know how I could have the fan 3' away from the edge of the tub due to other things in the way - the other can light, a plumbing vent that runs in the attic, diagonally across the whole bathroom ceiling.

I'll have to look into that some more.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Technically, the 3' rule (from the National Electric Code, BTW) doesn't apply to fans, but I'd still try to keep it away from water. I'm not familiar with the IRC.

As for the switch placement, it looks fine.

Cakins

Reaction score
I double checked the fan today, and it's approved for use in wet areas. So all is well with the fan.

Thanks for the heads up though. I must say, I love this Panasonic Whisper Ceiling fan already, and I've not used it yet. I temporarily hooked it to electricity a couple weeks ago just to see it work. It's SOOO quiet. So much nicer than the little el cheapo's I see in brand new houses - even houses in the $1/2 million range.

Cakins

Reaction score
I'll plead ignorance - I don't understand that term. Does this mean you, too, like Panasonic. Or you don't? :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks