Wax Ring Sealing Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave in WI

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been discussed in the past. I did a couple of searches of the forum and did not come up with anything on my problem.

I have a problem with the wax ring not sealing in one of our bathrooms. The house is about 9 years old, and a few months ago we realized the wax ring was seeping. So I replaced it with a new, regular No Seep ring (I think a No. 3?)

This did not help, so I replaced it with one with the plastic horn inside. This did not work either.

So last weekend I replaced the whole toilet thinking it might be defective, using a horned wax ring. This is now seeping as well.

The flange sits 1/8 to 1/4 inch above the finished floor surface. The flange is securely screwed to the subfloor, and the toilet does not rock. I have placed the toilet bowl on the flange without repositioning it, and tightened the hold down bolts snug but not too tight.

What else can I do here?

I do plan on trying a thicker or maybe two wax rings this weekend.

Any other ideas or tips? I'm kind of at my wits end.

Dave in WI

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you examine the flange carefully to determine if it isn't cracked, rusted, or the pipe has problems? Is it possible that it is just condensation dripping off of the toilet? Where do you notice the problem?

Dave in WI

Reaction score
Did you examine the flange carefully to determine if it isn't cracked, rusted, or the pipe has problems? Is it possible that it is just condensation dripping off of the toilet? Where do you notice the problem?

The flange isn't cracked, an it's not rusted (it's plastic). The water shows up as seepage from underneath the toilet base. Luckily it comes out on top of the finish floor, which is sheet vinyl, instead of going down to the subfloor below. The vinyl was installed before the toilet and runs right up to the flange.

Dave in WI

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you have answered most of the questions we would ask.

When you set the toilet, do you feel it "land" on the wax, and have to be squished down into place?

The other question has been asked, but I will repeat only because it may or may not apply to you but is an issue VERY COMMONLY encountered on plumbing calls: Is there a young boy, or an elderly gent, using the bathroom and having "aim" problems. If not, fine, don't take offense, we just had to ask. This comes up A LOT.

Other than that, you have posed a bit of a mystery for us/

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
1. Like jimbo says - do you feel the wax compress when you lower the toilet onto the flange? It should take a fair amount of pressure to seat the toilet on the floor as you compress the wax. If not, you may need to double up the wax rings.

2. Have you tried fitting the toilet on the flange without a ring, just to make sure it doesn't hang up for some odd reason?

3. If all else fails to solve the mystery (including the 2 posts above about those who don't "aim to please") - would make me wonder about a crack in the trapway of the toilet.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Do check the angle stop valve, supply line , fill valve and tank to bowl connections just to be sure!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks