Help! Running toilet won't stop!

Users who are viewing this thread

icer123

Reaction score
I have this very annoying constant running water problem with my toilet that just started today. I've dealt with these in the past but they usually had to do with adjusting the chain or the floater thing. In this case, the water won't stop, even temporarily no matter what I do. Even if I shut off the toilet water supply, it still runs!! I have to shut off the main water supply to my entire house to keep the toilet from running.

Please Help me!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may need to replace a flapper.

If the water is not going over the overflow tube, the flapper is leaking.
The toilet will continue to fill.

If the water is going over the overflow tube, then the fill valve is not shutting off. Then the fill valve may need repair or replacement.

icer123

Reaction score
You may need to replace a flapper.

If the water is not going over the overflow tube, the flapper is leaking.
The toilet will continue to fill.

If the water is going over the overflow tube, then the fill valve is not shutting off. Then the fill valve may need repair or replacement.

The water is going over it so I'm pretty sure the fill valve is not shutting it off.

But the thing that bothers me the most is that the water still fills up even when the toilet water supply (that comes out of the wall near the floor) is turned off. I didn't think that was even possible.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
But the thing that bothers me the most is that the water still fills up even when the toilet water supply (that comes out of the wall near the floor) is turned off. I didn't think that was even possible.

Either your stop valve is leaking or you don't have it shut off all the way.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score

That happens often. I would replace the shut off next to the toilet.

icer123

Reaction score

That happens often. I would replace the shut off next to the toilet.

I figured this should be replaced.

Is it possible that I am experiencing two separate problems? One is the water supply valve leaking water out and the other is the fill valve not stopping the flow into the toilet?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, sounds like you have two problems. If it is a farily standard toilet, replace the fill valve, the hose to it from a new shutoff. Then put in a new flapper, and the toilet controls are essentially new. Should last a long time. Use a 1/4-turn shutoff, and it should still work when this happens again. Those with washers ususally fail over the years, and then don't work when you need it to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks