Gutter Slope

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anyone know the correct slope for gutters (inches per 50 ft)?

Also, what's the recommended spacing for the hanger supports?

Thanks

Livin4Real

Reaction score
taken from greenbuilder.com

3.2 Conveyance Subsystem

If a straight run of gutter exceeds 60 feet, use an expansion joint.

Keep the front of the gutter one half inch lower than the back.

Provide a gutter slope of 1/16 inch per foot minimum.

Provide gutter hangars at 3 feet O.C.(on center).

Gutter should be a minimum of 26 gauge galvanized steel or 0.025 inch aluminum.

Downspouts should provide 1 square inch of downspout opening for every 100 square feet of roof area.

The maximum run of gutter for one downspout is 50 feet.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's more info than I had expected. Thanks.

Are you saying that you can no longer use the the plastic gutter systems? Or are the codes you outlined for commercial buildings?

Livin4Real

Reaction score
I'd assume it would all be the same whether plastic or aluminum. I think the majority use aluminum, that's what most info is based on. I'm not a gutter man, but just had seamless put on ours after we put on the new roof. Looks great and the hangers are hidden, ended up around $4.50 a linear ft. for labor and materials. Also something to think about if your in a cold climate is the plastic ones becoming brittle in the winter and cracking or breaking.

Brian

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I went with the very light aluminum system that use the couplings that are supposed to snap together easily.

Well, they're a pain in the butt. Next time I'll just overlap the gutter sections, seal and rivet them.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I went with the very light aluminum system that use the couplings that are supposed to snap together easily.

Well, they're a pain in the butt. Next time I'll just overlap the gutter sections, seal and rivet them.

Sorry I missed this, hope you catch it anyways - the fittings are to allow for expansinon & contraction. If you rivet them, they'll buckle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks