Re: new home nightmare
Posted by Sylvan Tieger on July 08, 2004 at 12:40:17:
In response to Re: new home nightmare
: Hello,
: I've just moved to a new home and I really need advice. It turns out that this is a slab house (I didn't know the term or that this design can be a bad idea) and the plumbing is shot. The previous owner didn't disclose the MAJOR leakage/flood/pipe problems and now I'm stuck with massive repair issues. I don't know anything about all of this and I'm getting many conflicting answers. I want to know--from an unbiased source--if it is better to get some kind of partial repair through the large holes that another "expert" put in my floor and through a hole knocked into a section of drywall OR should I have the plumbing entirely refitted to travel overhead. Both jobs are expensive and involved.
: I'd appreciate a response s soon as possible as I'm starting a small lake around my house and I'm reduced to turning the main water knob off whenever it's not absolutely needed (Which is a major pain!)

: Thanks

Hi there. Normally when a contractor is looking for a cheap job and has no consideration for the future home owners they install piping domestic water/heating underground knowing servicing these pipes is darn near impossible.

When I come upon these butcher type applications I just re route the piping to allow for future maintainence.

It takes a certain mentality, to convince a brain dead home owner to spend a fortune of money to bury piping that not only can never be serviced BUT also the heating guy has no idea what kind of carpeting the home owner will use later on to insulate the piping they buried.

ANYONE can open a heating shop in many location and unfortunately, MANY folks do get into heating without bothering to even learn the simplest proven systems.

Having any plumbing lines under a slab when offered a viable choice is just plain ludicrous.

I would first contact the insurance company THEN then a lawyer AND if you had an "engineers report" GO AFTER HIM/HER if this was not brought to your attention.

Three years ago I was called as an expert witness for a leak under a slab in a 2.6 million dollar home.

I made my own inspection then asked to see the home inspectors report and the engineers who came along with the inspector.

I decided to take the case and we went to court against the home inspector and engineer and old building owner (Shot gun effect)

The engineer worked for the home owner and the home inspector worked for the mortgage company.

We won a judgment that more then compensated for the tearing up the floors making all necessary repairs plus several thousand for the inconvenience of the victims to stay at a hotel and food expense and laundry bills as the home was unlivable do to the mold that had developed PLUS the installing contractor we went after and that was settled out of court.

The builder was also brought to task and he turned on the plumbing contractor saying the installer should have know better and of course the plumbing contractor in turn went after the architect.

The home owner was well compensated for her mental anguish and If you have to sue I am sure you can find a decent lawyer to get your just just reward.

Don't get mad, get even with unscrupulous installers when they had a viable option on where piping could be installed, inspected and serviced.

By the way hiring a Licensed master plumber for your "expert" be prepared to pay at least $4,000 for 14 hours of professional services rendered DEPENDING on the LMP's Formal training.

The lesser trained LMPs you can get for a few hundred but they will not be the best caliper of course.

Do not wait to long as some closing have a time limit on your recourse of action

GOOD LUCK

Replies to this post
There are none.