Re: Sterling Performa bath/shower
Posted by Clayton on July 07, 2004 at 21:59:14:
In response to Re: Sterling Performa bath/shower
Yes the silicone will make a water tight installation. The seams on the Performa are designed better than ones on much more expensive sectional fiberglass units. Its sounds like neither you or your contractor are wanting to be caulking bathtub seams. If he isn't experienced caulking with silicone or large seams and corners such as in a bathtub I would recommend you use water cleanup siliconized acrylic caulk instead of 100% silicone. inexperience with 100% silicone will leave you with a big ugly mess.

If the seams are still going to worry you about leaking, then change to a different model. If you liked the Performa because of the high gloss finish, the Acclaim model is also high gloss with tongue and groove no-caulk joints. If you like the design of the Performa then the Advantage is a little similar in design but i believe only available in swirl gloss, which is a very matt finish to me. I believe the Performa has a little higher quality apperance than the other models. The seams on the no-caulk models, I always caulk them also, why leave open seams everywhere for bacteria, mold, mildew, soap scum to accumulate. Caulked joints look much nicer(when done properly). be sure to leave the foam blocks on the back side of the wall panels if they are installed on that model..

good luck.

Replies to this post
There are none.