Re: Inexpensive Bathtubs
Posted by LonnythePlumber on July 05, 2004 at 22:36:27:
In response to Re: Inexpensive Bathtubs
: asteel tub should not even be considered. I would use Americast.

: : I'm re-modeling both my bathrooms and I'm not looking to spend a lot of cash. I'm going to get something from Lowes or Home Depot, or what the plumbers who re-piped my house sell, as they are going to install the tub/toilet.

: :
: : AquaGlass
: : American Standard Princeton (americast)
: : Lasco - fiberglass model
: : Sterling by Kohler - Vikrell model
: : Crane Aztec - porcelan on steel
: : Bootz - procelan on steel
: : Briggs - porcelan on steel (what my plumber is offering)

: : I'm looking for something that doesn't need a mortar bed since my quote is based on that, as the plumbers recommended Briggs model doesn't require this. The plumbers want $250 for their tub. The other tubns are $88-120, except for the American Standard which is $210.

: : Some searching has lend me to most people opting for the procelan covered steel out of this choices. Some say the Americast does NOT hold up well. The Vikrell I can't find anything on.

: : I'm looking for something that looks nice and will hold up. Cleaning wise we usually use scrubbing bubbles, but if a fiberglass or acrylic tub can't use this, we'll switch. We will use this tub once or twice a month MAX as a tub, and even less for showering in.

: : Can someone guide me in the right tub direction?

This is one of the few times my experience differs from hj's. I've had very poor experience with the Americast and will not install them. I think the plain enameled steel is better than the Americast. Oh well.
A cheap tub is going to ruin your whole remodel. Spend the extra hundred and get a cast iron tub. LonnythePlumber

Replies to this post