Re: new home nightmare
Posted by LonnythePlumbe on July 02, 2004 at 20:24:03:
In response to Re: new home nightmare
: Hello,
: I've just moved to a new home and I really need advice. It turns out that this is a slab house (I didn't know the term or that this design can be a bad idea) and the plumbing is shot. The previous owner didn't disclose the MAJOR leakage/flood/pipe problems and now I'm stuck with massive repair issues. I don't know anything about all of this and I'm getting many conflicting answers. I want to know--from an unbiased source--if it is better to get some kind of partial repair through the large holes that another "expert" put in my floor and through a hole knocked into a section of drywall OR should I have the plumbing entirely refitted to travel overhead. Both jobs are expensive and involved.
: I'd appreciate a response s soon as possible as I'm starting a small lake around my house and I'm reduced to turning the main water knob off whenever it's not absolutely needed (Which is a major pain!)

: Thanks

I abandon slab water piping unless I am having to also replace cast iron drainage piping. The enemy of water lines overhead is freezing. Slab structures are more economic to build and to install the underground plumbing lines. And they usually last 40 to 50 years in my area.
I often bring in two water lines. One into the bathroom and a second outside line into the kitchen. However this requires a 2 foot hole in the concrete to dig the dirt or sand out to allow the water lines to come in under the foundation.
LonnythePlumber

Replies to this post
There are none.