Re: Flange one inch above floor.
Posted by LonnythePlumber on June 23, 2004 at 21:36:20:
In response to Re: Flange one inch above floor.
: : Great site! I'm replacing a toilet that was put in when the home was built 30 years ago. After getting the old toilet off I see that the flange sticks up a whole inch off the floor. The pipe is 4" iron. I tried setting the new toilet on to see how much of a gap I'd have. I was able to just fit a 1/2 inch piece of wood under the toilet where it meets the floor. I can put shims in but 1/2 inch is a lot of space. Is this unusual? Any suggestions?

: I do not know any legitimate plumber who would "break it."

: The piping has to be cut no way around it but you have some options rather then bust it.

: One option is buy or rent an inside cast iron cutter Or get a grinder and grind/cut off the excess pipe.

: Just be careful and wear goggles.then use ither a caulked or Quick set Cast Iron floor flange

I agree with Sylvan that he doesn't know any legitimate plumbers. He deliberately provides misleading advice, kind of like a plumbing virsus.
It is an acceptable repair practice to break off rough edges of cast iron pipe with a crescent wrench or other device. LonnythePlumber

Replies to this post
There are none.