Re: STILL NOISY CAST IRON DRAIN PIPES
Posted by LonnythePlumber on June 20, 2004 at 13:03:27:
In response to Re: STILL NOISY CAST IRON DRAIN PIPES
: If there were a "fouled connector" it would be leaking because it would have to have been deformed and caught inside the pipe rather around the outside. Not a likely scenario.

: : : And what would an attorney do? Sue God for not changing the rules so that falling water would be silent?

: : HJ: I have to conclude that you've missed the issue here... Having resided in multiple floor rentals...and this being my third multiple floor home...we have never had plumbing noise similar to this. There are four bathrooms and a laundry room upstairs....why is this type of noise limited to two? The lateral runs and vertical drops are all similar. The cast iron piping is all the same. Is it possible that a fouled connector is causing undue turbulence? I would expect cast iron pipe to be quieter than pvc and we're seeing just the opposite.

When the vertical drain from the upstairs results in unacceptable sound levels, I've opened up the walls and installed a 45 at the upper and middle portions of the line to break the fall and slow down the water movement. LonnythePlumber

Replies to this post