Re: frost free hose bibs
Posted by GregO on June 15, 2004 at 08:29:13:
In response to Re: frost free hose bibs
Think of a frost-free hose bib as a spigot with a built-in interior shut-off valve (the valve actually closes towards the heated area of the house - thus, preventing freezing).

Frost-free hose bibs are commonly available and a good idea in areas where freezing temperatures occur, but for a potential homebuyer to request these installed is a little unusual. If it were me and I wanted to sell the house, I would offer a $100 credit per spigot towards the sale price. Of course, that price is likely low depending on how difficult access is to the current spigot plumbing. Separate, dedicated interior shut-off valves serve the same purpose (as long as you remember to close them during cold weather). Good luck and let us know what happens...

: Hi all. I'm in negotiations to sell my house and one of the things the potential buyers asked is that I have frost free hose bibs installed on two outside faucets. I've been in this house for 10 years and have never had any problems ( the house is 60 years old). None of my neighbors have them and, sorry guys- i'm not a plumber, I've never heard of them. How necessary are frost free hose bibs in Boise,ID and do any of you have an idea what it should cost to replace them? Thanks.

Replies to this post
There are none.