Re: Sideventing of main stack
Posted by Deb on June 13, 2004 at 11:46:06:
In response to Re: Sideventing of main stack
: Is it code acceptable to have the main vent stack vented on a sidewall instead of through the roof? The reason I ask is that a neighbor down the road has had their roof vent sheared off two winters in a row by heavy snow load on a metal roof. When the snow breaks loose it has broken or sheared the vent. A contractor (not a plumbing contractor) "solved" the problem by side venting the main stack, eliminating the roof exit. If this is acceptable I would like to do it on the log home our son is building.

The correct method to vent a log home in snow country is to run the vent(s) at the peak of the roof and size at least 3-4". The flashing should be installed before the steel goes down on the roof and located so that the ridge cap of the roof goes over the upper edge of the flashing. I live in an area where we get alot of snow and I have NEVER seen snow shear a vent located at the peak of the roof.
Venting out the side in not code, so it is not an option on new construction, which must be permitted and inspected.
Deb
The Pipewench
Deb
The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.