Re: Broken overfill pipe
Posted by e-plumber on June 12, 2004 at 17:29:22:
In response to Re: Broken overfill pipe

: Hi:

: I was wondering if the entire tank requires replacement if the overfill pipe (the tube the flapper slides over) is broken off at the base. The pipe snapped while the flapper was being placed. It seems like more than just this piece needs to be replaced and I was not sure if the base of this was actually part of the tank itself. I believe that it is an American Standard but might be Kohler.

: I do not have a problem buying a new toilet but would like to avoid this if possible as we will be leaving the space we are renting in 3 months and I would prefer not to foot the bill. It is in our lease that we fix things of this nature. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the part is plastic, you will need to replace the complete flush valve, if it is brass the repair is simple. Remove the piece that's left inside by slicing it with a hack saw blade and tapping it out with a fine screw driver. Screw in a new overflow tube and slide the flapper over it. Done.
...If the top of the overflow tube if higher the where the handle connects to the tank, trim it down.

Replies to this post
There are none.