Re: How to Cap a 1/4" copper tube? HELP!!!!
Posted by e-plumber on June 10, 2004 at 19:08:10:
In response to Re: How to Cap a 1/4" copper tube? HELP!!!!

: Hi all,

: Here's the situation. We bought a fixer upper that hadn't been lived in for a couple of years. We were left with a very coroded, very moldy central humidifier that we took out for obvious reasons. The water connection is a 1/4" copper tube. We want to cap this to stop the flow of water. There is a valve to tubing in the celing, but the valve is broken and won't turn off. We can't replace it because we can't get to it; in fact we can barely even reach the valve handle, let alone see it! Therefore our only option is to cap the 1/4 inch tube but they don't make caps for that small of tubing? What do we do? Right now we are wasting water by having it just drip into a bucket! Thanks so much :)

: Shelley

Hire a licensed plumber to determine if in fact the valve in the ceiling is a self piercing type valve (see picture above) which is illegal to use in certain municipalities and can cause major problems. You will most likely want to connect a new humidifier to the system at a later date, so have the plumber remove the valve and install the proper type valve in a more accessible location.

Replies to this post
There are none.