Re: Sewer relining rather than replacement?
Posted by Sylvan Tieger on May 24, 2004 at 16:35:01:
In response to Re: Sewer relining rather than replacement?
: Hi folks, I hope someone here has the experience to give me some advice.

: I live in an 87-year-old house whose sewer line is probably the same age. I wasn't smart enough when I bought the house to have the line camera-ed, find the problems, and subtract the cost of the replacement from the house price :-(

: Long story short: the sewer line is in really bad shape (it's clay), and I have constant trouble with roots from the trees that live right above it. To dig and replace will be expensive - it's in a fantastically tight and inconvenient location, and half the length will have to be dug by hand, down to about 8 ft :-( I've had a bid to reline the pipe with what I believe is called "cured in place pipe". It's like a vinyl sock that they blow down the tube, fill it with hot air, and it cures into a rigid lining inside the old pipe.

: I've had a couple local plumbers tell me they think it's a band-aid - they don't believe in it. Others have never heard of it. The cost to do this is half of the cost to dig. I know it won't be as good as a new pipe, but if it'll last even 10-12 years, that may be good enough.

: Does anyone have experience with this stuff? Should I get the lining? Thanks very much for your help.

If your lines are properly pitched you can have them rehabilitated for a fraction of the cost of replacement.

If your local codes allow look for a lateral lining that contains PVC with Fiberglass Scrim with solid epoxy that will cure in place with no shrinkage.

Look for the NSF 14 certification and make sure you contractor is licensed and insured.

Many of the really good lining rehab systems are able to stand alone and bridge large gaps.

The best part about some of these systems is you only need one access point so NO digging is involved .

Have any techinical questions E mail me

Replies to this post